Tuesday, June 19, 2018

Payday


Isaiah 43:19
Behold, I will do a new thing. Not it shall spring forth. Shall you not know it?  I will even make a road (path) in the wilderness and rivers in the desert.

I had stopped at the Walmart in East Gadsden yesterday morning after teaching a Bible study at Elmo's transitional house. Making my way down the isle, something happened that usually takes place no matter when I drop by Walmart. Above the noise....above the passing carts (and there is always one that has those wobbly wheels that do not seem to cooperate), I heard a voice cry out...."Bro. Mike!".

Now to be honest with you, I'm not to comfortable with religious titles. Never have been. Never will be. When I first started in ministry, I fought against it. Someone would call me "Bro. Mike" and I would tell them..."No...just Mike will do." The tittle thing actually began during my time at Rapha. I could not shake it as this was the moniker that the guys assigned to me. I knew that they meant it to be respectful, and I appreciated it, but I was going to cut it off.

Well, after years of fighting it, I simply gave up. If someone wants to call me "Bro. Mike" then so be it. I will be Bro. Mike. Anyway, back to the story. I am making my way through the store when my name rings out. I turn and there he was. The last time I saw him was when he entered treatment years ago at Rapha. Years in addiction had taken their toll on him. Lifeless eyes that had seen too much. His face hadn't seen a smile, or had anything to smile about longer than he could remember. But here he was standing in front of me.


He looked great.
He'd put on weight. Eyes sparkled (no kidding ...they sparkled!). Big ol' goofy smile that spread across his face. He ran up and bear hugged me. There in Walmart he shared his story as to how he'd been since leaving the program. He'd married, had a family, was holding down  steady job. He was continuing to work his program.....and he'd found Jesus (Not that Jesus was lost...) as his true higher power. He kept thanking me, and Rapha, for helping him turn his life around. We chatted for a few more minutes and then, with one final hug, parted and went our separate ways. 

This was payday for me.
Hadn't thought about him in a long time, but God had merged our paths yesterday. To remember where he was when I met him, and now seeing how well he is doing today, well, that truly is a payday of sorts. But the real truth behind the meeting and this person's life is testimony to the Power, Promise and Provision that God can bring to a life that is ready to surrender. A life that has become sick and tired of being sick and tired. Such a condition is a life that is desperate for change. When we become desperate to change, we will reach out to the lifeline that has been there all along. We will reach out and lay hold of it, and we will not turn it loose. That is what this person I met in Walmart had done. They had laid hold of the lifeline and, at least for today, was not going to let go of it.

Yes sir....today was payday.
God on you...

mbb

No comments:

THE REALITY OF THE NAME OF GOD

Listening to Keith Green this morning as he sings "How Majestic Is Your Name". I had to  ask myself, "Do I truly unerstnd the...