Tuesday, July 10, 2018

God Put A Penny On The Ground



Yesterday was a day of appointments.
Not the kind you schedule, but those that kind of fall in your lap.
You know that something is going on (that is a nice way of saying, "God is doing something...I don't see the bigger picture at this time) simply because you keep running into folks who need a moment of your time. It might be that they need prayer because they're going through a hard time.....maybe some financial help with a situation they can't take care of.....or they just need to talk with someone.

I had finished up my morning Bible Study over at Elmo's place, had said my good byes, and headed out the door, when I saw a lady crossing the street coming my way. I recognized her from other recovery meetings I had spoken at. I was surprised to see her over in this particular neck of the woods.

We exchanged pleasantries and she asked me if I could pray for a family she knows who has a member that is wrapped up in alcoholism. You know and I know that such doesn't just affect the one who's drinking. It draws the entire family and in, and sucks the very life from all of them. It seems, in this instance, that things have spiraled downward to the point that things are getting dangerous around the home. The person in question is in full blown denial about having a problem. You get the standard answer of "I can quit anytime I want to." How many times have I heard this?

As she shared the story, asking me if I would pray for this family, she began to reveal a bit of her heart. She leads a recovery group in town and is experiencing low numbers and small crowds attending. She is getting discouraged and even has thoughts of giving up. I know that she attends other meetings where the crowds are larger, so I asked her, "Do you look at the other meetings and judge what you're doing based on their numbers?" Her eyes filled up with tears, and she said, "I just want to have a packed house for our meeting." I told her that I totally understood what she was going through, and then I shared a lesson that I had to learn in dealing with our meeting, Vineyard ReCovery Church. I told her to quit looking at what she doesn't have, and concentrate on the ones who come to her meeting. "Look for the one...the one who is hungry to receive," was my advice. Look for the one who comes through the door that is in desperate need of God in their life. That is one you want to approach for prayer. That is one that you want to pour your love out on. Don't neglect anyone...but look for that one. We shared "good-bye's" and went our separate ways.

Made my way over to apartments on Walnut street to help a man I've know for a number of years. He is going through some hard times, and his health is steadily going downhill. But like he says (in his own words), "I am a survivor!" and he means that. Got to visit with him and help with some needs. We prayed and I told him I would check back on Friday. Going back to my car, my phone rang and it was someone else asking for prayer. As I approached my car, I think maybe God left a token lying on the ground for me to see. Something to remind me that it was His kingdom work that we all have been called to do. What was the token? A penny lying there by the driver side door.

What's so special about a penny? Nothing in and of itself, but I've become kind of crazy when it comes to coins I find laying around. I always check out the date and see if it corresponds to an event in my life. Most times it doesn't, but every now and then it does strike home. So here I was ministering and taking care of folks....some might even call it "pastoring". I looked at the date on the penny. It was 1964.
So?

Well, 1964 just happens to be the year God called me to be a pastor. I was thirteen, attending a summer revival at my home church. That particular night Rev. Hugh Chambliss was the visiting preacher and his message hit me like a ton of bricks. It was as if everyone else in the church had disappeared, and it was just Bro. Hugh and me. I knew that I knew, that I knew God was calling me to be a preacher/ pastor. At the same time it frightened me to death, so much that I ran from the call for 33 years. The call never went away, and I could never truly escape from it. Yet here, on the ground was a token from God to remind that I was doing what He'd call me to 54 years earlier. A reminder that when any of us does anything in His name, we are advancing the Kingdom of God.

Matthew 10:42
And if anyone gives even a cup of cold water to one of these little ones who is my disciple, truly I tell you, that person will certainly not lose their reward.

It is the simple "acts" of giving and loving that matter the most. Doing so draws hearts to be open to the Holy Spirit's leading. How hard is it to give a cup of water away? Think on this.

God on you...
mbb


No comments:

THE REALITY OF THE NAME OF GOD

Listening to Keith Green this morning as he sings "How Majestic Is Your Name". I had to  ask myself, "Do I truly unerstnd the...