Thursday, November 13, 2008

Thought?

Rainy morning. A yard full of leaves, where yesterday there weren't any. Rake, rake, rake and with one good windstorm it looks like we haven't turned our hand.
As I was trying to figure out what to put in this blog today, I was sitting in my office duplicating some movies. I am trying to transfer all of my VCR Tapes (of which I have hundreds) onto DVD's. The movie ONE MILLION YEARS B C was playing when I paused to watch a few moments.

Cave men and women.
Blond headed cave men and women.
Handsome cave men and beautiful cave women.
i don't think it was really like this. I think the portrayal of life in prehistoric times is, how shall I put it? Skewered! Now I know that the studio did not claim to be making a documentary based on true accounts. The movie was for entertainment purposes only. But the fact of the matter is they took a subject and injected what they wanted to make the story appealing to an audience.

Do you think we do this with Scripture?
Do we take it out of context and use it the way we want to, to fit whatever it is we are trying to say? I think sometimes we do.

I have heard a number of preacher/teachers use the following verse to reinforce the idea that we can't know what God is doing around us and in our own lives.Here is the verse.
I Corinthians 2:9
Eye has not seen, nor ear heard, nor have entered into the heart of man the things which God has prepared for those who love Him.
It does kind of read that way.........
until you add verse 10.'
But God has revealed them to us through His Spirit. For the Spirit searches all things, yes, the deep things of God.

Adding verse 10 changes everything.
We have become sloppy in our understanding and lazy in our interpretation.
I should know. I taught this way. But not any more.
We should search the Scripture not to validate or give proof to what we are saying. Rather, we should search Scripture to find truth and then speak it. It's not about me or my ideas, it is all about God revealing himself through His word.

Think on these things........

mb

2 comments:

Bobby said...

Going to Scripture too prove your point is dangerous. My understanding of the Bible has been challenged the last four or five years. I've come to the place that I just bow the knee to God's sovereignty.

Greene Street Letters said...

Amen and amen...
mb

THE REALITY OF THE NAME OF GOD

Listening to Keith Green this morning as he sings "How Majestic Is Your Name". I had to  ask myself, "Do I truly unerstnd the...