Thursday, July 2, 2009

Brasher Springs Camp Ground


David Finlayson and Florrie Noojin have both been writing lately about their experiences at Camp Bethlehem. Their family made the trek each years and many friendships and stories were made and came out of these family trips.

I didn't get to participate in such events until after Vicki and I started going to Central United Methodist Church and found out about Brasher Springs Camp Ground. Funny part was that I knew about Brasher Springs having grown up nearby in Gallant. Truth be told, I was Baptist and believe it or not, there was an unspoken "thing" between Baptist and Methodist back in the day. We Baptist viewed the Methodist as "out there"....."You know they don't immerce you they just kind of tickle you with water, they sprinkle" We would say. We baptist go whole hog....you're going under all the way if it breaks the ankles of every frog in Rocky Hollow (or Holler if you're really southern). As the years roll by I find such antics to be...well, I'm not going there.
Once Vicki and I joined Central Methodist we found out about the meetings each year at Brasher Springs. They are held in what is referred to as the Tabernacle. It is an open air meeting under a huge pavilion. There is something truly wonderful about going and singing the old hymns and hearing preaching and teaching that is not watered down or held back.
I first encountered Brother Lon Woodrum at Brasher Springs. By the time I met Bro. Lon, he was 83 years old and still going strong. Now if you referred to Bro. Lon as a Pastor or Preacher, he would be quick to let you know he wasn't any of those. He was an accomplished Journalist who loved God and talked about Him. I will tell you without reservation that I have never heard anyone share God like Bro. Lon could. Bro. Lon passed away a number of years ago and I do miss that man.

It was always good to meet up with friends at Brasher Springs. Gavin and Ellen Harris, Johnny and Connie Burttram and Jennifer. There was always a strong contingency from Central who attended each year. I haven't gone to Brasher Springs in a number of years, but you know what? I think I might this year.
God on you...
mb

No comments:

THE REALITY OF THE NAME OF GOD

Listening to Keith Green this morning as he sings "How Majestic Is Your Name". I had to  ask myself, "Do I truly unerstnd the...