Thursday, July 2, 2009

Brother Lon


Here he is! Lon Woodrum. Dapper isn't he? Lon liked bow ties and the Word of God. He would have rather talked about Jesus than eat. And how that man could talk about Jesus.
I wrote about Lon in the previous posting and how I first met him at Central Methodist. He would come up to teach and speak at the church and make the trip to Brahser Springs to take part in the services. He was old fashioned by todays standards. Come to think about it, Lon didn't think to much about today's standards either. His only standard was the Bible.
I wish that you could have heard him speak. Being a journalist, Lon had a gift with words. He was what I guess I would refer to as an orator. He knew how to master and allow the Holy Spirit to guide him as he spoke.
I remember one sermon he gave in particular. The title was "Who Is On Your Rope?" It was about the apostle Paul who was lowered over the wall one dark night in order to escape being caught and killed. Bro. Lon said that anyone could teach on Paul. If you couldn't teach on Paul you might as well pack up all your books and Bible and get out of the ministry. Well, Bro. Lon wanted to speak about the two men who lowered Paul out that window and down that wall. Two men who were never named in scripture but who had as great a responsibility for seeing the Gospel put down in writing as Paul, who wrote it did. If these two men had not lay hold of that rope and took responsibility for seeing that Paul made is safely from the city, the greatest books we have in our Bible might not have been written.
Bro. Lon took that idea and asked "Who is on your rope today?" Who is it that God has placed in your path that you are suppose to be obedient to so that the Kingdom of God might be extended?
I marveled at this man who could take words and paint as vivid a picture as any artist with paint and brush. I am richer to have known Bro. Lon.
God on you....
mb

3 comments:

Bobby said...

It's the Brother Lon's of the world that probably have more real fruit in their ministry then some of the "Big Gun" preachers. I would have liked to have heard him preach.

David Finlayson said...

He was one of the evangelists at Camp Bethlehem decades ago. That's where I heard him. I guess that's where George Creel found him too. George spoke at Bethlehem as well.

I remember Lon had this book out at the time. He was trying to write a "hip" book called 'SAY IT WITH LOVE BABY!' I read it and it was full of hip groovy talk. That old fellow was really trying to speak to my generation in and 'in' sort of way.

I remember him well.

Greene Street Letters said...

I think Lon wrote and spoke a lot with tongue in cheek.

THE REALITY OF THE NAME OF GOD

Listening to Keith Green this morning as he sings "How Majestic Is Your Name". I had to  ask myself, "Do I truly unerstnd the...