Tuesday, October 26, 2010

59.....whoa!


Yep! That's me. Yep! I'm posing. This was taken at a get-together at Tom and Charlotte Beaubes one Sunday afternoon. I don't remember who took the picture, but I do remember them saying, "Look smart."
I guess this is as close to "smartness" as I can come.
Find myself turning 59 today.
Strange and yet kind of want to celebrate that I have made it this long (all the while truly in touch with the simple fact God has given me 59 years.) How many more do I get? I don't know.

I kind of like the verse that closes out the book of Job. Chapter 42/ verse 17 - Then he died, an old man who had lived a long, good life. King James version reads "Job died an old man full of years." I like that phrase "Full of years."  Gracious knows Job had his share of trouble and grief and sorrow, yet here in end he was full of years. In others words, through the grace of God, Job overcame and endured till his time was up. What more could a body ask for? To lay hold of God's grace and let it take you all the way.

The one thing that has become really clear to me as the years have piled up is that "stuff" doesn't mean as much to me any more. I still like having things, but I don't focus on what I don't have or can't get. I seem to be more content and enjoy family more than ever. Vicki and I went out to supper with my brother and his wife Friday  night and it was just a great time to be together. To share some updates about what is going on in our respective lives, laugh a little and enjoy a good meal. That seems to be more of my heart these days. Just being around the folks I love.

What more could you ask for.
I think I'll go have me some birthday Banana Pudding!

God on you...
mb

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Happy birthday, Michael! You have been a blessing to so many lives you have touched through Rapha and the Vineyard and House of Blues. Just feel the love today on your special day! God's Peace and wisdom to you and your family as you fulfill your full years!

Greene Street Letters said...

I Have been undone by the number of people who have wished me a happy birthday. I truly am blessed beyond measure to have friends and family as I do.I pray that I can be the friend, the husband, the father, the brother, the grandfather that God wants me to be.
mb

THE REALITY OF THE NAME OF GOD

Listening to Keith Green this morning as he sings "How Majestic Is Your Name". I had to  ask myself, "Do I truly unerstnd the...