Sunday, March 18, 2012

Remember

Titus 2:14
He gave his life to free us from every kind of sin, to cleanse us and to make us his very own people, totally committed to doing what is right.

Sometimes you just have to revisit things that we think we know.
We've heard them so much that they don't really register with our heart.

"Jesus loves you!"
We think to ourselves, "I know...I know....Jesus love me....Jesus died for me.....blah, blah, blah..."
We hear it....
but it doesn't register down inside of us..
It has become words that sound good, but may not be having an effect on us.
Take for instance Jesus telling his disciples that he was going to die and then be raised from the dead.
He told them a number of times that this was going to happen.
Even after the resurrection, they still doubted as to whether it had actually happened or not.
Ol' doubting Thomas said that he had to see the scars of the nails before he'd believe.
But when Jesus showed up in the middle of one of their gatherings, Thomas quickly changed his claim....
"It's IS you!"
I don't want my relationship with Jesus to devolve into mere words and mental concepts and exercises.
I don't want it to become ritual and rote.
I want to remain open and in love with this Jesus.

In Matthew 15:8-9 Jesus warns about allowing our relationship with him to grow cold.
"These people honor me with their lips, but their hearts are far away. Their worship is a farce, for they have replaced God's commands with their own man-made teachings."
How sad and scary....
Even though the people have allowed the things of the world to replace their love for Jesus, they continue to go to church.
They continue to sing the praise and worship songs.
They, in their own minds, think that they are bringing honor and glory to Jesus.....
But....
Their hearts are far away.
God forbid that I allow myself to fall into this way of life.
That is why I must let the Holy Spirit (inside me) keep me close.
Keep me close to Jesus through prayer...
Through Bible study (not just Bible reading)
Through an active life of service....helping others.
Through sharing my life story with someone else.
We take the message of Salvation Recovery in Jesus to others. As we share our message, we must never forget the following truths.
1.) We were once a slave to the world and to addiction.
2.) Our hearts were filled with confusion and painful emotions just like those we are sharing with.
3.) We were saved because of the love and kindness of God, not because we were good enough to earn it.
4.) We can stay free of addiction because God is with us, holding us up and protecting us every step of the way.

Have a wonderful Sunday.....
God on you...
mb

No comments:

THE REALITY OF THE NAME OF GOD

Listening to Keith Green this morning as he sings "How Majestic Is Your Name". I had to  ask myself, "Do I truly unerstnd the...