Friday, March 9, 2012

"Smile!" For The Family Portrait

Matthew 1:3-4
And Judas begat Phares and Zara of Thamar and Phares begat Esrom; and Esrom begat Aram. And Aram begat Aminadab; and Aminadab begat Naassom: and Naasson begat Salmon....

Boring......
If you have ever read through a complete list of the "begats" in the Bible, consider yourself to be unique.
A list of names that we can't even pronounce.
I mean......C'mon! Who names their kid Phares? I know....different time, different culture. But still.
These lists must be there for a reason.
Even though we don't read much about these people, they must be there for a reason.
Well, they are there for a reason.

Some of these "begat" lists' are there to show us the line and genealogy that Jesus came through.
Even though these people may not have done anything great or noteworthy (every body isn't a David, or Moses) they were a part of the lineage that produced Joseph (Jesus' step dad) and Mary (Jesus' mom).
I imagine if you talked to these folks today and asked them, "Did you have any idea that the Son of God would come through your blood line?" They would answer, "No!". For the most part these men and women simply lived their lives in a struggle to survive. Raising a family was all a part of life. I think the most important thing in life, is to be faithful in everything that we face. Whether it is holding a public office or simply raising a family. Be faithful. That is what I see in thought behind the begat's. Faithful.

It is no different in the history of the 12 steps.
It began with a lineage that has brought us to here today.
Everyone credits Bill W. and Dr. Bob as the two men who kind of fleshed out what a group men named the Oxford Group were already doing. No matter the semantics, most people in A.A. used Bill W. and Dr. Bob as the root of the tree of A.A. Through the years, men and women around the world have taken their place in family of A.A. Men and women whose names we will never know but, none the less, have contributed to the growth and family history of the 12 steps.

Sometimes our view of recovery is kind of narrow. Of course it begins with "us" as our problem is the biggest problem we face. Over time our focus turns outward (Step #12) and we begin to take the message to others. We become a part of something larger than ourselves. An incredible family of brothers and sisters who have stepped from the dark shadows of addiction, into the brilliant light and life of sobriety. It was our Higher Power, Jesus, who made all of this possible.

One of the high points of my day is when I'm out somewhere and I hear my name called. "Bro. Mike! Bro. Mike!"  A man will come running up and begin to share how their life has been turned around. How the steps have worked for him. Let me rephrase that.....how the steps have worked as Jesus changed him.
I'm all up in me some Jesus.
We stand there (usually in Wal Mart) talking and sharing, encouraging one another. You think back on how you first met this individual, all the pain they were carrying around. All the bitterness and anger that burned inside of them, and now looking into their eyes, you see peace. A life changed. For me, personally, that is pay day.

Rarely have we seen anyone fail who has thoroughly followed our path.

What is a path? A way or direction that has been walked by many others. It has been travelled on so many times that the earth is worn down and it is very evident the direction they headed in . So as we add our names to the 12 Step genealogy, let us do so with pride and in the knowledge that others will follow the path we have followed. I am grateful for every life changed. For every man and woman out there whose hearts beat for Jesus. Whose very lives reflect the goodness of God.

Because of Christ's Redemption.....
I am a new creation of infinite worth....
I am deeply loved....
I am fully pleasing....
I am completely forgiven....
I am totally accepted.....
I am absolutely complete in Christ.....

When my performance reflects my new identity in Christ....
That reflection is dynamically unique...
There has never been another person like me in the history of mankind...
Nor will there ever be....
God has made me an original....
one of a kind, special person.....
And so are you......

God on you....
mb

No comments:

THE REALITY OF THE NAME OF GOD

Listening to Keith Green this morning as he sings "How Majestic Is Your Name". I had to  ask myself, "Do I truly unerstnd the...