Friday, April 13, 2012

Which Are You? Grape Vine Or Kudzu?

John 15:1
"I am the true vine, and my Father is the gardener."

I have probably taught from this chapter more than any other.
Why?
Because Jesus talks a lot about relationship and the need to stay connected.
It really isn't difficult. I just make it that way.
Jesus is telling his disciples, "Hey guys...If you want to make it in this old world, you've got to stay connected to me. You see, I'm connected to the Father, in that He lets His will be known to me. I get the low down on His plans and His directions. Then I carry them out. If you are connected to me, then you'll be part of the Kingdom work here on earth."

The first thing that caught my eye when I first started teaching from John 15 was the opening statement made by Jesus. "I am the true vine."
Why would he say that?
What would he be so specific in using this description of vine and branch.
Why not just say, "I am the vine."
Could it be he said it this way because there is a false vine out there?
A false vine that closely resembles the true vine?
The one thing that I have learned over the years is that Satan cannot create anything original.
He simply copies what God is doing and corrupts it.
He makes a close copy of the work that God is trying to do and then seeks to dirty it and blaspheme it.
I think that most of Satan's work isn't a blatant, in-your-face-your-going-to-hell kind of stuff.
I think that there are shades of subtlety and half truths used to draw us in and tempt us.

Jesus lets us know that He is the truth.
He is the true vine. One that is under the supervision of the Father who is the gardener.
The Father oversees our spiritual growth and well being.
He is not idly sitting by waiting on us to produce fruit (character change---See Galatians 5:22-26).
The Father is constantly tending to us through the work of His Holy Spirit in us.

Verse 2 reads: He cuts off every branch that doesn't produce fruit, and he prunes the branches that do bear fruit.
God cuts away from out nature those places that refuse to show His nature in our lives. He cuts away the lust and greed and bitterness and unforgiveness because He knows that such as these will never conform to the nourishment of the vine. They will never produce anything of good in our lives. But as the Holy Spirit begins to work and we see changes in our nature and character, it is there God does His best work. Let's say that I start to have compassion and I find myself helping others and sharing the Gospel of Jesus. The Father/Gardener understands the value of this fruit in my life. He prunes it back so that it can produce even more fruit. It is painful to be pruned. When we are persecuted or made fun of by others for our beliefs...God uses that pain to bring even more fruit from our lives.

It is those dark times and hard places where we feel the hand of God cutting on us and getting us ready for the coming season of producing fruit. We read in Verse 3 -  You have already been pruned for greater fruitfulness by the message I have given you. I find this particular part of scripture interesting. Jesus says you have already begun the process because of the message you have heard. It seems to me, in today's church settings there is a tremendous amount of energy spent on "Seeing God/Experiencing God" at the expense of "Hearing God." Yet Jesus tells His disciples that the pruning comes from hearing the word of God. WE must never, ever forsake the teaching of the Gospel, for in it comes the ability and vision to see God.

I hope that you have a great weekend.
Find a place to worship and meet with others who are like minded in their pursuit of Jesus.
Until tomorrow...

God on you....
mb

No comments:

THE REALITY OF THE NAME OF GOD

Listening to Keith Green this morning as he sings "How Majestic Is Your Name". I had to  ask myself, "Do I truly unerstnd the...