Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Word Up!


I have to revisit, from time to time, the words found in Hebrews concerning the validity and necessity of studying the Word of God. I don't want to be someone who pushes the work of the Holy Spirit aside in order to focus on the Word. At the same time, I don't want to be caught up in semantics or word-wrangling to the extent that I quench what the Spirit is doing. I want a marriage of the two. The power of the Holy Spirit coupled with the understanding of the Word. I need the wind of the Spirit in my life, working and speaking to me as I follow Jesus. Praying for folks and seeing God work in them. Praying for healing or restoration and then seeing it come to pass. It doesn't get any better than that. At the same time, I do not want to every forget the rhythm and grace of the word. Let's take a look at how the Bible describes the Word of God!

Hebrews 4:12
For the Word that God speaks is alive (It has the ability to speak to me through all the changes in my life. The Word of God made alive in me by the Holy Spirit, becomes the voice that I hear as God communicates His truth to me)

And full of power (Power is the key word when it comes to recovery. A Power greater than ourselves who can restore us to sanity, or the ability to make sound decisions).

Making it active (The Word of God is active...proactive and not reactive. It is not surprised or tossed about by the plans and schemes of the devil. The Word of God is the weapon we are called to use to "OUT TRUTH" the devil----see Matthew 4 and Jesus' temptation in the wilderness)

Operative, energizing and effective --- Do you see how the Word of God becomes what is needed for those who read it and take it to heart. As Jesus says in Matthew 7:24---Who ever hears the word and puts it into practice in their life is like a wise man.

It is sharper than any two-edged sword -- The word of God has an edge to it. It is not intimidated by the intellect of the world. It takes the nature of logic and operates outside of it. By that I mean that if we try and rationalize scripture, to make it fit our understanding, we will fall short. No matter where our logic would take us, we will reach a point where understanding the Word of God will require us to step out in faith. Some have trouble with this whole "Logic Vs The Word" but if you have read this Bible, then you know how strange it is. I mean, in this book ax-heads float, oceans part, the sun stands still, dead people come back to life and a man named Jesus lays claim that he is the only way to come to God the Father.

Penetrating to the dividing line of the breath of life (soul) and the immortal spirit -- It is the Word of God that brings illumination into our dark hearts and shines the truth of God.

And of joints and marrow (That is, of the deepest parts of our nature) - The Word of God becomes a "sword" in the hands of God's Holy Spirit. Cutting us spiritually and opening us up so that we can see and understand our need for a Savior. It is this deep cutting that I need in my life daily. It keeps any root of bitterness or evilness from taking root in me. To be zero-evil is not a bad thing.

exposing and sifting and analyzing and judging the very thoughts and purposes of the heart ---
We get so hung up on behavior that we forget that all behavior is the result of an inward belief. It is the intent and motive of the heart that the Word of God uncovers and brings to repentance.
The Word of God allows the conviction of the Holy Spirit to awaken me to the need of being saved. It is the Word of God that points me to Jesus. It is the Word of God that contains all the promises God desires to carry out in my life. And it is the Word of God that becomes the very lamp/lantern/spotlight for my feet and enables me to see the path I am called to walk.

"Let us then fearlessly and confidently and boldly draw near to the throne of grace--God's empowering presence in my life that enables me to be who God created me to be and do what God has called me to do----that we may receive mercy (for our failures) and find grace to help in good time for every need ----appropriate help and well-timed help, coming just when we need it."

God on you today!
mb



No comments:

THE REALITY OF THE NAME OF GOD

Listening to Keith Green this morning as he sings "How Majestic Is Your Name". I had to  ask myself, "Do I truly unerstnd the...