Friday, September 21, 2012

You Can Do It The Hard Way...Or The Easy Way


Matthew 11:28-30
"Are you tired? Worn out? Burned out on religion? Come to me. Get away with me and you'll recover your life. I'll show you how to take a real rest. Walk with me and work with me----watch how I do it. Learn the unforced rhythms of grace. I won't lay anything heavy or ill-fitting on you. Keep company with me and you'll learn to live freely and lightly."

Jesus totally understood the human condition....the human heart....the sin nature. Our old nature tells us to "try one more time." No matter how much we have struggled, giving up is not part of our psyche, is it? How many rehabs did we go to, with the best intentions of quitting, only to disregard what we were hearing? The old lie of "I can do this!" When the track record we have produced is one of destruction, grief, and a boat load of misery. It's time we started doing business with the world a new way.

Some of you may be surprised that the verse above makes the statement about being burned out on religion. Religion never helped anyone. It only created a different kind of bondage and slavery. Here is how I see it.

Religion is ME trying to reach God. I take on an outward appearance of looking like I am holy. I take on attitudes and behaviors without really having a heart change or allowing God's Holy Spirit to empower me to live. My life becomes a series of rituals that have no influence on my heart.
Jesus addressed such a state of religious activity in Matthew 15 -
"These people make a big show of saying the right thing, but their heart isn't in it. They act like they're worshiping me, but they don't mean it. They just use me as a cover for teaching whatever suits their fancy!"

I've known people like this. They come into rehab and they are modeled clients. They come to every Bible study. They come to our Saturday night meeting and they are the first to stand for worship...hand's raised, faced turned upward and singing at the top of their lungs. But when you follow them around during the week, you'll hear them telling their war stories from the "good old days". They'll be bragging about how many women they've slept with. And their conversation will be peppered with curse words and filthy talk. Now, you tell me......do they really know and have a relationship with Jesus? I think not.

Instead of working Step # 1 - 2 and 3, they have taken the heart of salvation and turned it into a personal covering that they are hiding behind. Such a thing produces no real, lasting peace or sobriety. In fact, they have proven to others that real life does not exist outside of Christ.

Real life is found in the words of Matthew 5:3 -  You're blessed when you're at the end of your rope. With less of "You" there is more of God and his rule.
It really is about letting go. Turning to a Power greater than yourself who is capable of putting you and your life back together. That Power is Jesus.

This new life isn't all sunshine and lollipops. There are hard times ahead. Truth be known, some of them will be so hard that you'll want to quit and turn back to your old ways. Someone will say something that is down right damaging to your soul and you'll be so mad you'll want to strike out. But you won't because this Jesus will guide you through it.

There will be days that you are so frustrated by what is happening that you'll just want to chunk everything and go smoke a blunt the size of Rhode Island. But you won't because Jesus will be there empowering you to hold on and weather the storm.

There will be times when you have busted your hump to do the right thing with others as you try to mend relationships, and nothing is working out. You'll be so angry that thoughts of getting drunk or high will flood over you. But Jesus will be there to temper the storm and bring peace to you.

Loneliness will scream at you sometimes to the point that you just want to find the nearest person and have yourselves a one night stand. Jesus will quite the emotions and remind you that you are not alone.

In other words, Jesus has my best interest at heart. What a Savior!
God on you....
mb

No comments:

THE REALITY OF THE NAME OF GOD

Listening to Keith Green this morning as he sings "How Majestic Is Your Name". I had to  ask myself, "Do I truly unerstnd the...