Monday, February 4, 2013

I Can Overcome Because He Has Overcome.

Psalm 107:4-6
They wandered in the wilderness in a desolate way.
They found no city to dwell in. Hungry and thirsty, their soul fainted in them. Then they cried out to the LORD in their trouble, and He delivered them out of their distress.

I know you must get tired of me writing this, but I'll probably keep on till Jesus comes back or I draw my last breath. It is something I cannot get away from. It burns in me.
Addiction is a sin/by-product.
In other words, it isn't the drugs or alcohol that has us bumfuzzeled (although it plays into it). It is our own self will that influences us to reach out and use. Self-will run wild. With each use...with each time we choose, our ability to stop diminishes. We buy into the deceptive lie that "I am what I am, I cannot change. I am hopeless."

Just like the verses in Psalm 107 tell us....addiction/ sin causes us to wander in a desolate way. "Wander" means that we have no purpose. We are moving about trying to make sense of it all, but finding no answer to the insanity which only seems to compound with each time we use.

The verse goes on to say that "They found no city to dwell in." The idea of "Dwelling" means that there is a sense of settling down....finding life....putting down roots. No so in addiction/sin. It robs a person of peace and serenity. It stirs the emotions and takes focus and direction away. It almost seems to be a perfect place for fear to come in and keep the user off balance. Fear is more powerful than some give it credit for. But there is one who has the POWER to break the fear. I John 4:18 - There is no fear in love; but perfect love casts out fear, because fear involves torment. But he who fears has not been made perfect in love. Who loves you? "For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son....."

I know that day after day, if you read this blog....
You'll read about the 12 steps...
You'll read about recovery....
You'll read encouraging words (hopefully).
But know that everything here points to God. I have a good friend who told me, "You can't work the steps and not bump your head on the cross of Christ."

The Father...
The Son....
The Holy Spirit....

The Three in One..working, exercising their power and authority toward those who desire to be set free.
See, I have a problem with this.
It's either all true....
Or

It's all a lie.....
It can't be a half-truth, because a half-truth is a whole lie.
God is a God who exercises His will over sin in the lives of those who do cry out to be saved. Breaking the power of sin......taking away the penalty of sin....and overcoming the presence of sin.
This is the heart of the Prayer found in Matthew 6...."Your Kingdom Come, Your Will be done...on Earth, as it is in heaven."

In the "Spiritual Warfare Bible," we read The Kingdom of God is a literal, spiritual realm, accessible only to born-again believers. This realm encompasses he power and resolution essential to the believer if he or she desires to achieve the manifestation of heaven on earth."
In other words, when we give up and surrender will and life to the care of God as we understood Him, we are given a POWER greater than ourselves.

Now that is some kind of good.....
God on you....
mb

No comments:

THE REALITY OF THE NAME OF GOD

Listening to Keith Green this morning as he sings "How Majestic Is Your Name". I had to  ask myself, "Do I truly unerstnd the...