Saturday, November 2, 2013

Fooling With Time



We set the clocks back tonight. Happy, happy! It's my wife's favorite time of the year. As she so aptly puts it, "I get my hour back."
Truth be known, time is stationary. The cycle of the earth revolving around the sun never changes. The way we count hours in the day shifts each year when we "fall ahead" in the spring, and "fall back" in the fall.
So our perception and the way we approach the day is what changes.
The actual measurement of time doesn't change.

Isn't that the way it is with addiction.
Addiction never changes. 
There is a stability to it that is like the rotation of the earth around the sun.
Addiction produces the same results in every life.
No matter what the socio-economic background...
No matter the education.....
No matter what race you are.
Addiction takes everyone down to the same level.
I guess you could say that addiction is the great equalizer.
Or as I like to put it, "Addiction is an equal opportunity destroyer."

The danger comes when we try to approach addiction through using mental deduction.
We begin to make excuses for our using.

We rationalize the bad choices we make.
We justify our actions.
It really is like when we adjust our clocks to make time the way we want it.

Doesn't matter. The end results are still the same.
destruction.
Unless something breaks the spiritual, physical and mental hold that addiction brings to a life, there is no hope of ever being free.
I see person after person truly believe that they are the solution to their addiction problem. 
"If I just try a little harder."
"I don't need those steps or a 'higher power'. I just need to change what I've been using. I won't use heroin any more....just weed."
The problem with all of this is that a person cannot be the problem and the solution at the same time.
It truly does take a POWER greater than myself to restore me to sanity.
That POWER is none other than Jesus.

I like the way Psalms 57:2 reads: I will cry to God Most High. To God who performs all things for me. 

Performs? Puts in place....provides for me so I can walk out this new life of sobriety and salvation. In other words, my Higher Power , Jesus, does for me what I could not do for myself.

So instead of "setting" and "resetting" your recovery clock.
Let it alone and simply surrender....
give up....
But realize you are giving up for something far better than what you already had.....life with Christ.

God on you.....
And don't forget to run Your clocks back tonight.

mb

No comments:

THE REALITY OF THE NAME OF GOD

Listening to Keith Green this morning as he sings "How Majestic Is Your Name". I had to  ask myself, "Do I truly unerstnd the...