Sunday, July 20, 2014

Finish


I feel it.....
Didn't ask for it....
Glad I have it.....
 A gift....
The desire to see life all the way to the end.
Phil Strout, national director of Vineyard churches, talked about this at last years Southeastern Vineyard Conference.
He fully recognized that Vineyard has been built by first generation pastor's. As a movement, we are a mere babe......34 years old. But you add at least 34 to the age of those who first answered the call to plant a church, and you've got some mileage. I guess I'm a youngster compared to some...I've only been at this for 17 years. Phil urged us....implored us...encouraged us to "see it all the way through." To finish well.
I'm feeling that this morning.

This call really is universal to all who claim to have relationship with Jesus. We have all been called to see it through to the end. To be about the business of the Kingdom until we draw our last breath. I don't read any where in Scripture that we get to retire from the call of Christ on our lives. I do recognize that we will go through seasons and times where the way we carry out kingdom business will change. At 62 and 3/4, I'm looking ahead as to how I can keep doing what God has called me to.  I may not be able to led worship because the old voice is changing. I may have to sit down when I teach. But as long as I draw breath, I've got a story to share of what this Jesus had done to me, through me and for me.

I'm excited to be entering this new season in my life. Sounds silly, but I've never been this age before. I've never had this smidgen of wisdom that God has granted me through this journey I've been on. It's kind of exciting to see life through these eyes. I think that God has granted to me a desire, a fire if you will, to not sit down or give up. Last night at Vineyard Recovery Church, I taught on the three calls to follow Jesus.
First call is to relationship with Jesus.
Second call is to equipping and receiving the authority and power to do the works of Christ.
Third call is to make sure, and realize, that whatever we do.....where ever we go....whatever we say....is done so with the love of God as our motivator.
There was much ministry and prayer for several who were there.
One young man came up after it was over, his first time to be with us, and he told me, "I've never been a part of any service like this before in my life." God had spoken to him. That is payday. Someone came, not knowing what to expect, and they ran into the real-deal God. It isn't about me, and it isn't about VRC. It's about a place where we can meet God and be changed. That is why I want to finish this journey all the way to the end. Someone else needs to hear that addiction is no life at all. Someone else needs to hear the good news that Jesus can and will set them free. Someone else needs to learn how to pray and do the works of Christ. Someone else needs to understand the dynamic of the Kingdom of God. Someone else needs the indwelling of God's Holy Spirit.

I want to be able to say like Paul ---"I have fought the good fight. I have finished the race. I have kept the faith. Finally, there is laid up for me the crown of righteousness, which the LORD, the righteous judge, will give to me on that Day, and not to me only but also to all who have loved His appearing."

Thanks for letting me share this morning...
God on you...
mb

No comments:

THE REALITY OF THE NAME OF GOD

Listening to Keith Green this morning as he sings "How Majestic Is Your Name". I had to  ask myself, "Do I truly unerstnd the...