Tuesday, July 29, 2014

Learning To Trust


I Corinthians 13:12
For now we see in a mirror, dimly, but then face to face. Now I know in part, but then I shall know just as I also am known.

These verses seem to unsettle a lot of folk. Some people don't like the idea of "not having the whole picture" so to speak.
The idea of not being able to see the bigger picture, or not be able to "intellect" themselves through the mysteries of God is not right to some.

For me, I take great comfort in knowing that I don't have to know all the answers. That I don't have to see the grand scheme of things.
I think being comfortable with such a thing falls under the category of trusting God.
That is something I'm growing more and more comfortable with as I've gotten older.

Oh, I have my days and moments where the train goes off the track and I go into chicken little mode, running around voicing that the "Sky is falling! The sky is falling!". But those times seem to be few and far between. I think operating from a place of trusting God brings great peace to a person. I'm talking about the peace of God that by passes your brain and move straight to the very core of who you are. Peace that brings stability when everything around you is shaking and crumbling. Divine peace. Jesus' peace.

The #1 thing I have come to know, understand and fully appreciate is the old A.A. saying of "One day at a time." For someone in addiction living in the moment is a fundamental truth. Addictive thinking either shoots you to your past, where you focus on all the destruction and damage you have done, or it rockets you into the future. The future is a place of great fear to someone in addiction. Why? Because everything out there in the future is weighed by the destruction of the past. 
Example:
"I'm getting out of treatment in 5 weeks, and the future just scares me to death."
What that person is really saying is "I've been working on myself for a period of time, but no matter how good I feel about myself....no matter how much progress I've made....I'll mess it up because of how I've acted in the past. It all part of a false belief system that is carried around, and affects every decision that is made. False Belief # 4 - "I am what I am. I cannot change. I am hopeless. Someone may have never actually said these words out loud, but they are real and at work in the heart. 

So how do we change? How do we move beyond the bondage of these false belief's?
By realizing that we are on a journey. It is all about growing little by little, daily as we deal with life as it comes. We learn that God is indeed trustworthy, because we have made the decision to turn will and life over to His care. 


To me, the Serenity Prayer is a profound declaration of my dependence on God. It is more than just clever words and cute sayings when it is spoken by one who is truly accepting the message. When it becomes more than lip service and turns into a core belief, the past can be overcome. The future becomes ours to own. And Jesus then truly becomes LORD of our life.

Living one day at a time; 
Enjoying one moment at a time; 
Accepting hardships as the pathway to peace; 
Taking, as He did, this sinful world
as it is, not as I would have it; 
Trusting that He will make all things right
if I surrender to His Will;
That I may be reasonably happy in this life 
and supremely happy with Him
Forever in the next.
Amen.

God on you....
mb



No comments:

THE REALITY OF THE NAME OF GOD

Listening to Keith Green this morning as he sings "How Majestic Is Your Name". I had to  ask myself, "Do I truly unerstnd the...