Thursday, June 4, 2015

Prayer Request Thursday



Psalm 119:15-16
I will meditate on Your precepts, and contemplate Your ways. I will delight myself in Your statues. I will not forget Your word.

Today marks the 2600th posting to the Greene Street Letters. I kind of like to celebrate a little with every 100th posting. Never really started out to keep blog going this long. It has kind of changed and evolved over the years as people have contacted me to tell me that they enjoy the encouragement from what I write. That's really funny to me, because I am so terrible at spelling, sentence arrangement, and putting my thoughts down for others to read. I'm sure my 11th grade English Teacher, Mrs Steffe, is turning in her grave thinking about me writing on a daily basis. God has given me a measure of grace to keep this blog running to be an encouragement for someone out there. I guess I would fall under the classification of one of the "Foolish" things God has chosen that we read about in I Corinthians Chapter one. Anyway, to all of you who stop by here daily to catch a posting, thank you very much. Feel free to share the Greene Street Letters with others. Copy it....repost it....if you feel like there is something in one of the postings...then give it away.


Prayer Request From Rapha:
Very unusual requests today from the men in treatment at Rapha. Everyone had the same request. "Help me to move forward with my recovery".  What's behind the request? Fear of the future. The unknown of what may be out there waiting on them. I think sometimes we use the word "fear" to much when talking about recovery. I think maybe "apprehension" would be a better word. Don't get me wrong...I've seen some who truly were fearful about what was out there in this new life of recovery. 

I find it strange that "not knowing" is a part of life.
You did "not know" when out there running crazy on the streets. It was the same future coming at you every day, but the choice was made to not face it. To turn and medicate yourself into a stupor so you wouldn't have to deal with it. Now that sobriety has become something you want, the same future is headed toward you. But because you are trying to live differently, you no longer run to drugs or alcohol to soften the blow. You have made a choice to stand and face what ever problems you may encounter.

The requests by the men all carried the same message, and in that message was the subtle point that they need to find a group of like minded people they can connect with. Such would give them the support and encouragement to not give up....to not quit...to not run away. So if you will, please keep these men in your prayers this week. Ask God to cover them with His protection. Ask God to grant them wisdom and understanding about how to deal with the daily problems that tend to crop up without warning. Ask God to be a real, present help in their time of need.

God on you...

mb

No comments:

THE REALITY OF THE NAME OF GOD

Listening to Keith Green this morning as he sings "How Majestic Is Your Name". I had to  ask myself, "Do I truly unerstnd the...