Thursday, July 9, 2015

Learning To Listen---Learning To Follow Instructions


Amos 3: 7-8
Surely the Lord God does nothing, unless He reveals His secret to His servants the prophets. A lion has roared! Who will not fear? The Lord God has spoken! Who can but prophesy?

Here it is...
The secret you've been searching for in your recovery...
The missing piece that people have hidden from you, to keep you in the dark.

"What is it?" You may be asking...
Learning to hear God...
Not with the physical ear, but with the heart.

You remember the heart don't you?
The very center and core of your being.

The place that melds together thought and feeling along with intellect and a few other things that we need to be aware of.

Like what?
Well, that old nature we carry around...the one that is most efficient when it speaks through our own thoughts. The part of us that is motivated to be self centered and selfish. Our needs, wants and desires take precedent over every one else. What's more, we are so use to that voice in our heads, we automatically have not trouble giving in to it. Truth be known, we bow our knee and worship at the great altar of self.


So what's the deal?
Well, it is all part of this relationship we get when we are saved....or born again as the Bible calls it.
A spiritual rebirth that God gives us when we confess our sins (Own up to them and admit that we have been responsible)...we repent (have a change of heart, mind and direction) and ask forgiveness for what we have done to others, as well as the life of independence we have sought to live outside of God's will and love for us. Never forget...God has not given up on us...we gave up on Him and wanted nothing to do with Him. That is why life turned out like it did. We sought to be the captain of our own vessels, never mind we kept steering it and crashing it on the rocks. 

Every day is a declaration of "I'm not going to listen to that old voice that has lead me astray time after time...I'm going to listen (with my heart) to God." 
God does speak....
For me personally, I hear God in the faintest thoughts that float through my mind. They will come as I'm praying, or when I'm asking Him for instruction. I've been at this "chasing Jesus" thing for a number of years, so I have learned that I must test these thoughts when they come. I get asked all the time "How do you know if it's God or not?" Well, sometimes I don't know. Sometimes I will step out and make the decision on what I hear in faith. I'm of the opinion that if your trying to hear God and follow what you think He is saying, He will keep you from harm even if you make the wrong choice. 

One way to insure your success on the path of recovery is to saturate yourself with scripture.
Read it...
Study it...
Download good teaching and listen to it..

Worship with it...
Sounds like a lot of work doesn't it?
Well, it is, but it is life giving work that will keep you from that old life you've been trying to break free from. It also becomes a lifeline through which we begin to see God in a different way.


John 16:13 tells us that the Holy Spirit, which God gives to every believer, will "guide us into all truth." That isn't a flowery religious platitude. This is the hard core reality if we are serious about moving forward under His direction. We will begin to live in a reality that is based in truth. We will daily be shown the truth about ourselves, as well as an ongoing experience about the truth of who God really is. We will begin to experience life in a way that we have never known before. To say it another way....we will begin to change in ways that we never thought possible.


Think on these things...

God on you...
mb

No comments:

THE REALITY OF THE NAME OF GOD

Listening to Keith Green this morning as he sings "How Majestic Is Your Name". I had to  ask myself, "Do I truly unerstnd the...