Monday, December 28, 2015

Faith...Now...Today...At This Moment


Sometimes we take the word "Faith" and dress it up in religious tones and phrases as if to make it more palatable for human consumption. We place it among other words as if it were some sort of talisman or magical word we can say to get God to do what we want Him to do. Faith is one of those words that seem to carry with it many different definitions and color's as to what it truly is. I'm not an expert on faith, but I have learned some lessons through the exercise of my faith.

Lesson # 1-- I do have faith. Now I don't say that to prop me up as some sort of spiritual giant. You have faith. The guy next door has faith. The addict or alcoholic has faith. The last part of Romans 12:3 reads: As God has dealt to each one a measure of faith. Every person born into the world enters with a measure of faith. We sometimes misplace our faith and point it in the wrong direction, or to the wrong person. Sometimes we throw our faith, and caution to the wind, and act in ways that run contrary to the ways and purposes of God. When rightly exercised, Faith is a weapon that cannot be defeated or stopped. 

I love the definition of faith as found in Hebrews 11:1 (The Message Bible)
The fundamental fact of existence is that this trust in God, this faith, is
the firm foundation under everything that makes life worth living.
It's our handle on what we cannot see.
I like how the Message Bible describes faith........
                   A.) The fundamental fact of our existence
                   B.) The firm foundation that supports everything that makes life worth living
                   C.) Our handle attached to that which we cannot see.
So to summarize.....
Faith is more than a religious exercise....faith transcends denominations or churches....
Faith is the molecular bonding of our spirit to the Spirit of God  when we exercise it. 

Faith is the foundation upon which life....real life is built. Such life can only come when our faith is exercised and placed upon and in Jesus. Faith is no dependent on our current situation. Faith is not stopped by our current lot in life. It isn't stronger when times are good...and it isn't deterred when life knocks the wheels off our journey.
Faith is.....
Not faith was...
Nor faith will be...
Faith is now...
Faith is today...
You've read this before here in the Greene Street Letters....but I'm going to write it again.
My Faith is directed toward a person, and that person has a name. The Lord Jesus Christ. My faith rests in one simple fact. That Jesus is who He claims He is.....and that He will do what He has promised He would do.

Jesus is the fact for my existence....
Jesus is the foundation for life that is worth living....
And Jesus is the handle I lay hold of to walk through this day, no matter what happens.

God on you....
mbb

No comments:

THE REALITY OF THE NAME OF GOD

Listening to Keith Green this morning as he sings "How Majestic Is Your Name". I had to  ask myself, "Do I truly unerstnd the...