Friday, March 11, 2016

Shoot For Sobriety---End Up Short


I Corinthians 15:57
But thanks be to God, who gives us victory through our Lord Jesus Christ.

Call me crazy, but I have a different view than some folks.
You get into the recovery journey and you'll hear the word sobriety a lot.
Sobriety this...
Sobriety that...

Life is better sober.
Sobriety becomes the goal...
Life without the alcohol or the drugs.
Sober living...
Well, what if sobriety is simply a byproduct and not the end result?
What if sobriety is what happens when we allow God to work in us as we surrender will and life over to His care?


Would it not make more sense to chase the POWER that is greater than us?
Would it not make more sense to surrender to that power so we can experience life.....real life.....true life. Or as Jesus stated in Scripture...Abundant life. 

I think sometimes we elevate the word "Sobriety" to a place that makes it the magic solution to our problem, when in fact it is the incredible benefit that comes with our new life in Christ.

To me, that is one of the differences between what we do on Saturday night at Vineyard ReCovery than some other meetings. We are all about the Power. We are all about Jesus.

Look at it this way.
Do you know anyone who has gotten sober through their own determination?
Sure you do.
I do.

I know men and women who have extended years of sobriety simply because they were able to quit on their own.
Now do you know anyone who has gotten sober through their own determination.....and has a life of peace, grace, mercy and love?

No, I don't.
Such men and women who have willed themselves to sobriety usually are bitter, angry and hard hearted. Not really the life I would want. 
In fact, at my age, I want the rest of my years to be ones filled with peace.
Peace with God....
Peace with others....
And Peace with myself.


I love the verse from I Corinthians 15.
God gives us the victory through Jesus.

That God has a sense of humor and is smart as a whip.
Notice it didn't say victory over what. He left that part open ended so you could insert whatever it is you need victory over.
But the one true constant that is rock solid in that verse, is that whatever victory we need is found in one place, and in one person....Jesus.
Victory over alcohol?
Jesus.

Victory over drugs?
Jesus.

Victory over bitterness and unforgiveness?
Jesus.

Maybe that is why Jesus said that "He was the way, the truth, and the life."
Food for thought here on this Friday.

If you're not busy tomorrow night, and you're looking for somewhere to go, come out and join us at Vineyard ReCovery Church.
We're located down town Gadsden, on Broad street between 4th and 5th street.

Meeting starts at 7 p.m., and we do stamp court cards.
Hope to see you there..

God on you....
mbb

No comments:

THE REALITY OF THE NAME OF GOD

Listening to Keith Green this morning as he sings "How Majestic Is Your Name". I had to  ask myself, "Do I truly unerstnd the...