Tuesday, June 28, 2016

Doing? Or Being?



Psalm 51:16-17
You do not desire a sacrifice,or I would offer one. You do not want a burnt offering. The sacrifice you desire is  broken spirit. You will not reject a broken and repentant heart, O God.

Isn't it amazing what our mind will convince us to do?
Maybe that's part of our problem. We listen to our mind, and not our heart.
God's conviction comes to the heart, not the mind.
The Holy Spirit speaks through our heart and not our mind.
Now this doesn't mean that I chunk my noodle and go by feelings....
But it does mean that I put into perspective the way my thoughts come to me.

Somehow we think hooking up with God is all about doing better.
Acting holy, and going to church.

Singing all the worship songs and not cussing.
Do.....

Do....
Do....

When in fact, all God is concerned with is the state of your being, not doing.
Doing for God will get you nowhere, especially when the doing is you coming up with stuff you think God likes.
It's kind of like making apple pies for God.
But you never considered the fact that maybe God doesn't like apple pie.


The one thing I have taught over and over is a simple truth.
We are called "human" what?

The answer? "Beings".
We are not called "Human doings".
God is more interested in us being the person He created us to be, rather that what we can come up with to do for Him.
If I concentrate on the "Being" part, the "Doing" will follow. And my doing for God will be second nature. I won't think a thing about it. It will just be a natural part of who I am.

Romans 12:1 calls us a "Living Sacrifice". Now in my book, those two words don't go together. Living and sacrifice. But the truth is, we give our whole "being" to Him in an act of obedience. I think this is all part of the "turning will and live over to the care of God." In other words, I quit trying to drive the train, and sit back to enjoy the ride.

Psalm 51:10
Create in me a clean heart, O God. Renew a right (loyal) spirit within me.
Notice what isn't said in the above verse.
"Give me the strength to do a whole bunch of stuff so I can win your favor. Then maybe you'll let me into heaven when my life is over."
It's all about God doing for me what I cannot do for myself.
I cannot create a clean heart within myself.
I cannot reset and restore my spirit so that it operates in a right manner.
Only God can do that for me.

Recovery is more than the simple act of not using or drinking.
It is about a total inner change of heart, spirit and mind, under the hand of a loving God whose desire is to see you made whole again.
Sounds like a good deal to me.
How about you?

God on you....
mbb

No comments:

THE REALITY OF THE NAME OF GOD

Listening to Keith Green this morning as he sings "How Majestic Is Your Name". I had to  ask myself, "Do I truly unerstnd the...