Monday, June 6, 2016

Hope In The Middle Of LIfe


Monday morning....
Most folks are getting up and heading out the door to work.
Me?
It's a piddling day. After VRC on Saturday night, and speaking at Catalyst Recovery last night (throw in a number of phone calls from people needing prayer or help (or both), and some encounters with several former clients at Walmart...my work week is over.

So Monday is a day to catch my breath and begin to lay out plans for the upcoming week.
I usually have a breakfast appointment with Jim Bentley each Monday morning. We meet at Jack's on the drive for coffee and to share a "Wimber moment"..."What's our business? And how are we doing?" A chance to catch up on what's going on in our lives. What does it seem to be that God is stirring around us? Where do we think all of this is headed? Not that we can come up with answers that are revolutionary or will change the world. Who knows we might just be able to affect our little corner of the  Kingdom for Him.

Psalm 107:27-30
They reel to and fro, and stagger like a drunken man, and are at their wit's end. They they cry out to the LORD in their trouble, and He brings them out of their distresses. He clams the storm, so its waves are still. THEN THEY ARE GLAD BECAUSE THEY ARE QUIET; so He guides them to their desired haven.

The life of addiction is one of chaos.
One of turmoil and emotional upheaval.
Using is a way to escape the "Noise" and drama. Unfortunately, using is the primary conduit that creates the "Noise and drama."

Hard to make good choices when your life is in upheaval.
Hard to make good plans when all you can think about is running away.

It all boils down to that one moment....
That one brief period of time when the noise and chaos become too much.
When the mental and emotional pain far exceed the physical.
When there's nothing left but to cry out, and your not even sure if crying out will help.
But you do it anyway.
You open your mouth and you scream (Yes, I mean really scream) "Oh God, I can't do this any longer....if you are real please help me." 

This is the moment of release.
This is the moment when God will come to you.
Truth is, the cry to God for help is more than relief from the chaos and turmoil.

The cry of God is the realization that without Him, there is no end in sight to the pain.
There isn't any future that can be seen.
Just endless misery and pain. Such will either drive you to your knees to seek this God I write about daily.....

Or it will drive you deeper and deeper into the darkness of your using.

You will reach the point that there aren't enough drugs or alcohol to dull the senses to the pain.
God offers the only way out.
That direction to new life has a name.
That name is Jesus.

I certainly would not expend as much energy writing each day about Jesus if it were not true.
You see, I've cried out for Him.
I've been in spiritual darkness before. I understand how alluring and tempting the world can be. It will blind you to the truth of who Jesus really is. IT will dull you thinking to the truth that this Jesus will do for you what you could not do for yourself.

What's more.....
I know many, many people who have experienced freedom in Christ from their old way of living and thinking. So there must be something to this.
Believe you me, you are not so far gone that my Jesus cannot reach down and life you up and out of the mess of your life.

Not sure why I wrote this posting today.
Maybe someone out there needs to know that there is hope.
Maybe someone is teetering at the brink of destruction and believes that they are too far gone to rescue.
I simply pray that you have found the Greene Street Letters....

and have taken the message to heart.
I'm here if you need to talk....

Leave me a message and I will get in contact with you....

God on you.....

mbb

No comments:

THE REALITY OF THE NAME OF GOD

Listening to Keith Green this morning as he sings "How Majestic Is Your Name". I had to  ask myself, "Do I truly unerstnd the...