Friday, June 24, 2016

"I Can't Do This"



Isaiah 40:31
But those who trust (wait) in the Lord will find new strength. They will soar high on wings like eagles. They will run and not grow weary. They will walk and not faint.

Step # 3 of the Missteps of Life Recovery:
"I Can handle it by just trying harder or having more willpower."

Is it just me, or does the human mind amaze you with its capability to deceive?
Deceive others.....

As well as deceiving itself?
Walking down through the twelve steps, we start by coming to the reality that we are powerless over this addiction. Powerless-----not capable of providing ample strength, ability, or will power to overcome this "thing" that has trapped me and dictates my every move. 
We are powerless.....
But after this sobering fact of coming to grips with our inability to break free of our addiction, we turn right around and talk ourselves into the lie of all lies...."I can do this.I don't need anyone's help."


We go on to reason that our failure has stemmed from the truth that we just didn't try hard enough. If we apply ourselves....really really hard.....buckle down...nose to the grindstone...get serious...then we can overcome this beast that has us under its control.
Wrong-O there buttercup!


Let's get real honest here...
Life is about surrender....

Whether you are an addict or not...
IT's about realizing that at some point, we are brought to the place where we cannot save ourselves.
My Bible says that "We all fall short of the glory of God."

Who falls under "all"?
Everyone of us
And without the salvation, forgiveness, and grace of God, we'd all slide over the edge of eternity into a place that I really don't want to go.

This whole "turning will and life" over to God is daily endeavor.
I turn my life over to His care one time.
I turn my will over as many times as necessary.

In other words, I defer my right to make my own decisions. I trust God to lead me and show me the right thing to do.
Trust comes from getting to know God.
I read and study His the writings He has given to us.
I talk to Him.
I listen for Him to talk back to me.

I surround myself with others who are hungry for this God.
I admit when I'm struggling and seek advice from others who have traveled this road to recovery.

The more honest and transparent I am in my life-dealings, the more I can keep from getting in the ditch by trying to drive my own life.

II Corinthians 12:9-10
Each time He (God) said, "My grace is all you need. My power works best in weakness." So now I am glad to boast about my weaknesses, so that the power of Christ can work through me.
Chew on this verse today.
Get it all down inside you and let it take root.
My weakness....
His strength.....
My admission of not being able to do this recovery in my own ability....
His promise to empower me if I turn to Him.

Makes sense to me.

God on you....

mbb



No comments:

THE REALITY OF THE NAME OF GOD

Listening to Keith Green this morning as he sings "How Majestic Is Your Name". I had to  ask myself, "Do I truly unerstnd the...