Tuesday, September 27, 2016

Are You In The Bleachers? Or On The Field?


Matthew 28:19
Therefore, go and make disciples of all the nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and the Son and the Holy Spirit.

I think maybe what I am about to say may not be received by some. I'm o.k. with that. In fact, if you think I am in error, then please pray for me.
Personal responsibility......
In life....
In work....
In our homes....

And especially in our relationship with Jesus.
I had never really thought about the passage from Matthew until I downloaded a teaching on the book of Acts. The speaker made the comment that what the church calls "THE GREAT COMMISSION" was give to the disciples before the church was born. It was given before the day of Pentecost when the Holy Spirit came in fullness for all who believed.
In other words, the great commission was a personal commission given to the first disciples, who in turn shared it, saw others saved, and taught them. It grew from this concept given to them by Jesus before His ascension back to heaven as generation took the personal responsibility to tell their story of what Jesus had done to them.....for them....and through them.

Now I know that some may say that when it comes to evangelism the church can do more than individuals, and I would have no argument with that. But it is so easy to hide in the church and neglect the personal responsibility that still is in effect for every believer.  


We too have been called to be salt and light in our communities, our schools, our jobs, in the market place. Here's the other part that I feel is most important. Such a work should come forth by the Holy Spirit working in us. If we are truly walking by the Spirit, then the Spirit will show us who we are to move toward.

Our sharing should not  be in a religious, verse quoting, speech that we memorize....but rather in a lifestyle where the love of God flows from us and we speak from the heart and not a memorized plan. Don't get me wrong, i am not putting down the "ROMAN ROAD" way to lead someone to salvation...but I think it needs to flow from us naturally (If the Holy Spirit desires us to use that method). Bottom line is we need to be open to how the Holy Spirit wants us to approach others. What if our job is to first establish relationship with a person before we ever share with them? Don't doubt that such a thing could ever happen. I think we get in trouble when we act out of behavior rather than faith. When we have a prearranged way of approaching someone rather than asking God, "How do you want me to address this individual. Call me strange but I just believe this is the way it works (at least for me).

Going back to the personal responsibility thing......
We like being on a winning team.....
But we don't like to practice for the game....
we had rather sit in the stadium, wear the jersey....but the big #1 foam finger and yell at the ones on the field. If they win the game, we proudly proclaim "WE WON!!!" as if we had been an intricate part of the effort that was carried on on the field. Get it!!!

We have got to get in the game....why? Because we have been a given a personal responsibility by God to do so. To share His story (which is our story) with those around us. To literally love them into the kingdom.

As you work the Twelve Steps, you'll come to Step #12. The step of giving away what has been freely given to you. Taking the message to others who need to hear it.  Sounds like moving in such behavior is a place of freedom. A place of gratitude....A place where we literally become the person God intended us to be. Sounds like such may actually be good for us. What do you think?

God on you...
mbb

No comments:

THE REALITY OF THE NAME OF GOD

Listening to Keith Green this morning as he sings "How Majestic Is Your Name". I had to  ask myself, "Do I truly unerstnd the...