Friday, September 9, 2016

Sit Down



Job 1:20
Job stood up and tore his robe in grief. Then he shaved his head and fell to the ground to worship.

Arriving at the point of "you don't know what to do next."
Life has hit you full on in the face, and everything in you screams "retreat to your old ways." But at the same time, a greater piece of you screams even louder "No! That isn't the answer." So while all this is raging on inside, what's a body to do? Exactly what Job did. Stop.....sit down....and worship. If you want to rip your clothes and shave your head......well, that's optional. Such was the custom of the day. But the important part is the sitting down to worship.

We don't really make good decisions while we are in emotional turmoil. We tend to use our feelings rather than our heart to decide what to do next. Such decisions don't turn out for the better because our emotions / feelings are usually somewhat tied to our old nature. That sin nature that points us in the wrong direction, which usually involves old ways....old thoughts....old friends...and even greater problems that we are currently facing.


Waiting on God involves trusting God. That He knows better than us. That He does have a plan (rest assured He does. I know from personal experience) for us. It's kind of like when you get lost in the woods and you aren't sure which direction to take. Wisdom says to sit down and wait. If you keep walking, the odds are greater that you will become even more "Lost-er". Sit down.

Isaiah 40:31 tells us  "those who WAIT (trust) upon the Lord will find new strength. They will soar high on wings like eagles. They will run and not grow weary. They will walk and not faint.
Those aren't just some sort of pseudo-religious-flowery-platitudes to give you a warm fuzzy. These are words of life. This is the very heart of God revealed to us, His creation. I think maybe I will follow His advice. Today I will not act impulsively. Today, I will not let my emotions and feeling dictate my decisions to problems and situations I may face. If I don't know what to do, I will wait until You show me, Lord. I will follow You in every decision that I need to make today.

I know that waiting is not easy for most folks (you'rs truly included) but I also know that it is part of the whole process of following God. I also know that we aren't going to master this whole waiting thing until we start trying. As a good friend says so often..."What say ye?" Are you up to the task of learning and letting God guide us? I say yes.

God on you...
mbb

No comments:

THE REALITY OF THE NAME OF GOD

Listening to Keith Green this morning as he sings "How Majestic Is Your Name". I had to  ask myself, "Do I truly unerstnd the...