Tuesday, January 17, 2017

Discipline



Philippians 3:18
For I have told you often before, and I say it again with tears in my eyes, that there are many whose conduct shows they are really enemies of the cross of Christ.

Funny thing about this particular verse....
It doesn't say that they are enemies of Jesus....
Just the cross...

What does it mean to be an enemy of the cross? Well, to me it means that I reject the power and the work that Jesus accomplished by dying on this cross.

If I reject the Power of the cross, then for the most part, I am looking to myself as having what power I need to live life. Is there evidence that I am still in control (or at least have convinced myself) of my daily life.

You know, you can say all the right things. You can learn the jargon of religion and it can roll off your tongue with the greatest of ease, and still be as lost as a ball in high weeds. You can call everyone "brother" and "sister" till the cows come home and still not have a real relationship with Jesus or with others who are following Him.

Salvation brings something to each who receive Christ that is very evident (or at least should be)..........discipline. That is the one thing I see in the lives of those who truly have their lives turned from addiction.  It isn't a discipline that is done with clenched teeth and seething anger because you're having to do something you detest. It is a discipline that comes with a level of acceptance knowing that this new of living is going to pay off in the long run.

Colossians 1:10 
Then the way you live will always honor and please the Lord, and your lives will produce every kind of good fruit. All the while you will grow as you learn to know God better and better.

In growing, we will put into place the discipline that we need to never return to our old ways. We will go to meetings... We will find a group of like-minded people who can help us to do the necessary things to move away, and stay away from our old ways. We study the Bible...not just read it, but asking God "how do I apply what I am reading". We pray...a lot...and then when you're finished, you pray some more.We watch who we hang around. Bad company corrupts. Sorry, but that is the truth. There's only one way to look at this. The people I am hanging around with either help me in my recovery, or they hurt me by their behavior. No matter how hard you tell yourself you are not going to get dirty, if you choose to jump into a mud hole...well, you get the picture.

One thing that we must always keep at the forefront of our thinking comes from the big book of A.A. -----We have a tendency to look for the easier, softer way. Discipline will not let you do this. You may want to...you may even think about it, but you will not carry it out. If someone tells me to do something that will aid my recovery, and I start trying how to figure out a faster way to carry it out...I'm in trouble. 

I leave you with this verse...
Colossians 1:13-14
For He has rescued us from the kingdom of darkness and transferred us into the Kingdom of his dear Son, who purchased our freedom and forgave our sins.

Have a good day...
God on you...

mbb

No comments:

THE REALITY OF THE NAME OF GOD

Listening to Keith Green this morning as he sings "How Majestic Is Your Name". I had to  ask myself, "Do I truly unerstnd the...