Friday, September 15, 2017

The Power Of Simple


Pondering life this morning...
I know...it's a pretty heady subject to be rolling around in my brain, especially since I haven't had my first cup of coffee.

What about life? What has me so wrapped up in my thoughts?
Well, to put it bluntly, the simple things that we sometimes lose track of.

The simple things we find in the natural surroundings, as well as the simple we find in the kingdom. We have a tendency to not recognize the value of simple. I remember that one of the things that amazed me, when I was out at Rapha, was the appreciation that came to those who found new life in recovery. I remember seeing men standing outside at night, looking up at the stars, commenting.."Do you know how long it has been since I looked up at the night sky..it's so beautiful." Or how they would go on and on about the taste of coffee, and food in general since they were clean. These simple things are powerful, and they help to keep us grounded.

Me, I love the smell of fresh cut grass.
I love my wife's egg salad, which is usually a Saturday lunch staple here at Casa Bynum. I love laughing with friends over some silly story or joke. I'm crazy about old black and white westerns, where you did know the difference between good and bad by the color of the hat that was worn. I love the sound of snow falling, and the thunder and lightning far off when a summer shower is moving in. 

I could draft a list a mile long of the natural things...the simple things that mean a lot to me.
On the Spiritual side, I love to simply hang out and be with God's people. Every stinking Saturday night my flesh gets up around 2 p.m. because I know that I'm going to be heading out to the church for VRC. "Why don't you stay home....Why don't you just call someone and get them to be in charge...You need your rest, you've been going hard all week." You see, I know this is my flesh..that sin nature that seeks to leverage some measure of control over me. But as sure as the old side begins its conversation in my head, the Spirit of God in me rises up and reminds me that God is going to do something tonight and I would not want to miss it. He was right, I don't want to miss out on what God is doing. So I go, and I have never been disappointed by doing so.


Simple things? Never doubt the power of a simple gesture toward others when it comes to the Kingdom of God.
I get a text message every Friday morning, shortly after 3 a.m.
"Just to remind you that Jesus loves you, and so do I!!"
How cool is that. This person takes time out of their early rising to text me and remind me of a great truth. I cannot explain what an encouragement this is. Simple, yet powerful.

Never underestimate the power of a smile to someone who is down.
A smile...a gentle word of encouragement. Oh not that syrupy, Hall-mark kind of sentimental encouragement...but rather the simple, powerful truth of the Kingdom.

Never downplay the power of a hug or handshake...Such translates the idea of the love of God.

I have a good friend who related an experience he had at his first A.A. meeting. He explained that he had to get drunk to attend because it was almost overwhelming for him to do so. The thing that always grabs me when I think on his story is what made the most impact on him. It wasn't the testimony of those who were in similar situations as my friend. It wasn't anything from the Big Book. The thing that impacted my friend the most was that someone met him when he walked through the door, handed him a cup of coffee and some cookies, and said, "Come sit with me".  Like I said, it is the Power found in the simple things. May you find such Power today.

God on you...

mbb

No comments:

THE REALITY OF THE NAME OF GOD

Listening to Keith Green this morning as he sings "How Majestic Is Your Name". I had to  ask myself, "Do I truly unerstnd the...