Monday, June 22, 2009

Beyond The Veil pt. II

I am suppose to conduct a funeral service today. It is never an easy task but when the one who has died is a believer, there is a hope and comfort among family and friends that does ease the pain.
Why do we grieve?
Is it because time together, at least for now, has ended?
Is it because we look at the one who has died and think about all the things that they will not see or get to participate in?
They will never know the thrill of being a grandparent.
They will never see their children grow up, marry and build lives for themselves.
Grief carries a lot of different meanings for each of us.
I grieved for my parents when they died, Mom in 1981 and Dad in 1985.
I remember sitting in my chair then night after the funeral for my Dad.
The strangest thought came to me.
Here I was, 34 years old...
married..
Two sons..
and the thought comes to me that I no longer have parents. I belong to no one. I was orphaned.
I began to cry. I had, in an instance, flash backs of my parents through memories of my growing up years. It was like a film played in my mind and in an instant, I saw my Dad young and strong. My Mom taking me to my first day of school. I still don't know why that happened. It was just part of the way I grieved for the death of my parents.
So much has happened in my life since my parents died, and they have missed it. Or have they?
Paul writes in Hebrews that we are "surrounded by so great a cloud of witnesses." He never fully defines who the witnesses are but if you read chapter 11, it is a record of the great believers of Scripture. Could it be that those who have gone before us have the ability to see what is going on with those they loved? I do believe so.

One thing I know is that with each passing day, I am made painfully aware of this thing called our mortal body. How it is deteriorating and breaking down. I am also growing in hope and faith as God strengthens the inner man. Death is the great mystery. We can talk about it, pontificate about it and teach about it all we want. But the one thing I know is that Jesus broke the power and took the keys to death, hell and the grave. He has afforded me the greatest opportunity in the world. To spend eternity with Him in heaven.
Not a bad deal.....

God on you.....
mb

1 comment:

Bobby said...

Mike, Thanks for these two post. I'm going to save them because I think they can be used to bring great comfort to someone who is grieving the lose of a love one. I believe you're right. Our love ones in Heaven probably know whats going on in our lives.

THE REALITY OF THE NAME OF GOD

Listening to Keith Green this morning as he sings "How Majestic Is Your Name". I had to  ask myself, "Do I truly unerstnd the...