Wednesday, June 3, 2009

Did You Read That !!!

I have been writing and teaching about the holiness of God. That this God we claim to believe in and worship is the same God we read about in the Bible. He is the God who spoke into existence every thing we see, touch, smell, hear and taste. Yet somehow there seems to be this disconnect between who God is and who we really think He is.

I have been wrestling with giving God the reverence and worship that is due Him, not because of what He has done but simply because of who he is. I don't think this worship can be scripted or rehearsed, I think it has to flow from our hearts as a true offering of praise. I do believe that we can sing songs that have been written about God, as long as we are singing to Him. I believe that from this place, the spontaneous songs and praises of God will come. But we have a tendency to hold back for fear of looking foolish. I don't see too many people holding back at football games, or concerts or at a NASCAR race. Why is it we become so reserve? Is it because we fear God. Now don't get me wrong, fear of God is a good thing. We don't need to become chummy with Him. He is not the "big guy". He is not the "Man upstairs". He is Almighty God who rules over everything. What falls under everything? Everything.

God has had me in the two books of Chronicles this week. Not really reading one can sink your teeth into, but none the less, I am trying to be obedient. I came across a verse today that made me stop and think.

II Chronicles 2:3
The sons of Judah were Er, Onan, and Shelah. These three were born to him by the daughter of Shua, the canaanitess. (now pay attention to this part) Er, the firstborn of Judah, was wicked in the sight of the LORD, so He killed him.
How does that fit into your view of God? Oh but Michael, that is the Old Testament and we know that there wasn't any grace and it was hard and it was the law and God must have been having a really bad day. Oh yeah?
How about in the New Testament where Grace abounds in the book of Acts where we read about a couple of liars.....Ananias and Sapphira. God struck them dead! What are you trying to say? I am trying to say that we need to remember who it is that has called us to salvation and relationship. That this is the real God who sits in heaven and carries out His plan in spite of the sin and evil in the world. He is not overcome by it. He doesn't sit around crying and whining about "what am I going to do?" He is not deterred by anything. He is not surprised by the depth of sin in humanity. He patiently goes about working with those who are saved to bring the Kingdom of heaven to earth. That is His will and that is His plan.
Try getting in touch with the majesty and awesome power that God possesses.
Read Chapters 4 and 5 in Revelation to get an idea of what is going on around the throne of God.
Me?
I can't wait to see it firsthand....
Talk about worship.........now that is worship.
God on you....
mb

No comments:

THE REALITY OF THE NAME OF GOD

Listening to Keith Green this morning as he sings "How Majestic Is Your Name". I had to  ask myself, "Do I truly unerstnd the...