Sunday, June 14, 2009

Good Saturday Night

I guess the one part of Scripture that will follow me forever is Psalm 134. Back in 1999 when we started a Saturday night meeting for people in recovery, I had someone come to me with that verse telling me that they thought it might be from God as an encouragement. I read it and it made sense but more than that, over the years that followed, it has brought me great peace.
Psalm 134
Behold, bless the Lord, all you servants of the Lord, who by night stand in the house of the Lord! Lift you your hands in the sanctuary, and bless the Lord. The Lord who mad heaven and earth, bless you from Zion!

Last nights meeting was no exception. Worship ran longer than normal and no one seemed to care. We even move into some prophetic areas where the songs were spontaneous and from the heart. I encouraged those present to join in and simply sing what was on their hearts......they did!
I gave a short message from Acts about the need for community and the behavior that is to be found among a group of believers. The real message came as different ones there stood and spoke from the heart about what God had done and was doing in their lives. Some read Scripture, some merely told stories of God's goodness that had been made evident in what was going on with their lives.

I asked for those who were really struggling with an area in their life to raise their hands. Nine or Ten raised their hands. I called them to the front and asked them to form a circle. I then asked for those who wanted to participate to come up and form another circle around these who were struggling. We began to pray over everyone that God would come and meet them right where they were. The prayer wasn't so much about answers or solutions to the struggle as much as it was simply, "O God...I need you! Forgive me of sin I have committed against you."

We took communion for the second week in a row, something we don't normally do at Rapha. I felt like since our meetings were moving into a new direction and we were simply trying to be obedient, God wanted this table to be set each week. It was a very tender time as one by one, the men filed up to receive the bread and the wine.

As I turned out the lights after the meeting, everyone long since gone from the building, I looked back inside and thanked God for allowing us this place to meet with Him.
It was a good night.
Now, we get ready to meet Him again at 7 p.m next Saturday.

God on you.......
mb

No comments:

THE REALITY OF THE NAME OF GOD

Listening to Keith Green this morning as he sings "How Majestic Is Your Name". I had to  ask myself, "Do I truly unerstnd the...