Tuesday, June 16, 2009

When Someone Speaks For God

I guess one of the most gullible groups of people today are Christians. If it is coated in a religious covering and is flashy and full of glitz, we believer's are like fish drawn to the hook. We bite! This attitude comes from not growing up and becoming mature in God. From looking for, as addiction tells us, the easier softer way.

I am, in no way, where I need to be with God, but I am striving every day to grow up. When someone comes to me and says, "Hey, God told me to tell you................." and then they give me a prophetic word or some Scripture, I always receive it. I receive and I hold it loose. Why? Because if God has told someone else something He wants me to know, once I'm aware, He will tell me. If I do not hear God on the matter, I lay down the word that was given to me.
We see this attitude in Scripture. The attitude of receiving a word from God by a good friend or someone you work with. In I Chronicles 17: 1-4 reads:
Now it came to pass, when David was dwelling in his house, that David said to Nathan the prophet, 'See now, I dwell in a house of cedar, but the ark of the covenant of the Lord is under tent curtains." Then Nathan said to David, "Do all that is in your heart, for God is with you." But it happened that night that the word of God came to Nathan, saying,"Go and tell My servant David, "thus says the Lord.....you shall not build me a house to dwell in."

Nathan goes to David to tell him what God has said about not building the Temple. What does David do? In verse 16, David went in and sat before the Lord and spent time in prayer to find out the truth of what God desired him to do. David did not take Nathan's word and run with it. He did not lean wholly on the word of Nathan, even though Nathan was David's right hand man and had given him good council over the years. David went before God to find out what was right and wrong.

God desires us to be a discerning people. To not fall for every Christian (I use that term loosely) fad or 'latest' thing that comes down the religious super highway. How many "Prayer of Jabez" Books are lying around in closets and drawers? This was the hot word from God a few years ago and everyone was jumping on the Jabez bandwagon. Why isn't the Bible, The actual WORD OF GOD a hot commodity? Because it takes time to read, and time to digest what you have read. It takes effort to listen to the Holy Spirit as He brings instructions and life out of those words found in Scripture. It is so much easier to run down to the local Christian bookstore and snatch up the latest, greatest, hottest thing going on today. The word of God stands unchallenged against every other book written. It has been tested and not found wanting or lacking. In fact today, you don't test the Word of God but according to Hebrews 4:12 it tests you. It uncovers your heart and not only that, it reveals the motivation as to why you do what you do.

God desires each of us to grow in Him and part of that growth is becoming a people of discernment. There are too many voices out there all claiming to speak for God. If you don't know the true one, you can get swept up and carried away.

God on you......
mb

No comments:

THE REALITY OF THE NAME OF GOD

Listening to Keith Green this morning as he sings "How Majestic Is Your Name". I had to  ask myself, "Do I truly unerstnd the...