Wednesday, January 27, 2010

The Invisible Man

John 3:30
He (Jesus) must become greater and greater, and I must become less and less.

Taught from this verse last night's 9 p.m. Bible study.
Why?
Because I have been kind of stuck on that verse. Not that it is a mysterious verse or that it has hidden Biblical truth. But sometimes the greatest truth is what we truly see for the first time. It's not that it is hidden, we just haven't really taken notice of it before. For whatever reason, this time you read it, the Holy Spirit kind of makes the verse jump off the page and it strikes you as a "Hmmmmmm!" moment.

On so many levels, this verse from John where John the Baptizer makes this statement is powerful and yet the very heart of what relationship with Jesus is all about. Yes, in the natural John realized that his call was being lessened as the ministry of Jesus began to take off. Jesus would continue to gain notoriety (not that this is good) and that the focus of people would shift from John the B. over to Jesus. John knew this. John understood this. John seemed to be o.k. with it. John had been given a call and he had been faithful to what God expected of him. Now, with Jesus coming on the scene, John's time was winding down and would soon end.
What does this have to do with me?
As I walk out this daily life in relationship with Jesus, I must become the invisible man. My will, my own personal agenda, my own desires must be relinquished and surrendered so that the will of God can be magnified in me. It is about my will being supplanted by God's will so that my behaviors become the by product of this surrender. I do, people see, they realize that it is God working in me and not my own attitudes and behaviors.

Psalm 34:3 reads: O magnify the Lord with me, and let us exalt his name together.
Magnify? Make God so large in me that he fills every space, every part and there is no room left for me (my old nature) to exist.
Some of you may be saying, "That is really wishful thinking there Mike."
Maybe.
But you know what? If we don't begin to do this, it will never happen.
It beings with me simply realizing that the more I can become transparent in my attitudes and motives, then my behaviors will reveal God's work in me.
One of the things that I teach is: We are not called human "DOINGS" we are called human "BEINGS". That maybe...........just maybe..........if I focus my attention and efforts on following God and let him turn me into who I should "BE" then maybe, just maybe.......I will "DO" what God is calling me to do. If I decrease in my own will and increase more and more in the will of God, then the doing will become natural, almost like 2nd nature, we do because we simply do. Why? Because that is who we are.

Turn loose and let God have his way today.
God on you............
mb

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You Go Dude!
BTW-You sit in Christ, at the Father's Right Hand, filled with Holy Spirit. When you look in the mirror, point your finger at that bearded dude and say, "Jesus the Christ lives in that man!"

Greene Street Letters said...

Agreed and Agreed...well done Saint Thomas of Puckett.
thanks.
mb

THE REALITY OF THE NAME OF GOD

Listening to Keith Green this morning as he sings "How Majestic Is Your Name". I had to  ask myself, "Do I truly unerstnd the...