Friday, September 10, 2010

Home...


Here it is....
Rapha
What is it?
Drug and alcohol rehab.
What makes this place so special?
God.
That may sound kind of "uppity"..I don't mean for it to.
But the history of Rapha is a testimony to the power of God
and the call upon a families life.
Steve and Marilynn Yarbrough came to Rapha when it was just an empty shell covered in weeds and full of snakes. (sounds kind of prophetic doesn't it?)
They took back the property and began to rebuild and restore.
Little by little, bit by bit God enabled and empowered them to launch what is now
Alabama's largest faith based drug and alcohol rehab.

I came out in 1998 just a year after Rapha opened.
Started out helping with worship in the morning meetings.
This lead to a slot where I taught classes during the day.
Eventually I was given a place on staff and have headed up the spiritual side of the treatment program since 2004.

To me, Rapha is founded on the words found in Psalm 107:20
He sent his word and healed them, snatching them from the door of death.
The power and truth of God is the greatest weapon that can destroy the lies that come with addiction.
I have seen first hand the power to change that comes through the Word of God.
I have seen healing take place for memory loss by reading and praying over the men.
I have seen lives restored as the Word of God is opened up to the hearts, minds and spirits of those
who give themselves to God and to the program.
God IS the power to change...
The program is merely a guide that provides some boundaries in which to live.

I have been privileged to have been a part of Rapha for over 12 years.
That's a lot of men...
That's a lot of change...
That's a lot of growth.
I seen many men change, and with each one who does, it is a celebration.
My prayer is that God would let me be at Rapha all of my days.
I am blessed beyond measure to have been given a place in which to teach, love and council.
Today, I get to go out to Rapha and do it all over again.
Each day is filled with new things....good and bad.
Each day is an opportunity to see God work.
Each day is a chance for me to grow.
Thank you Lord!

God on you...
mb

No comments:

THE REALITY OF THE NAME OF GOD

Listening to Keith Green this morning as he sings "How Majestic Is Your Name". I had to  ask myself, "Do I truly unerstnd the...