Monday, May 2, 2011

Mercy and Grace

Mercy ---
God  giving us what we don't deserve and keeping from us the things that we do deserve.

Grace ---
The empowering presence of God in my life that enables me to be who I was created to be and to do what I have been called to do.

These two wonderful words met at the cross of Christ.
The collision of them exploded and moved across humanity.
The very riches of heaven were poured out and made available to all who believes.

Mercy --- What is God giving to me that I don't deserve. Well, that would be eternal life. His Holy Spirit. An inheritance and being made joint heirs with Christ. I really don't deserve any of this. After all, I was born a slave to sin. Mercy.....

Mercy --- What is God keeping from me that I do deserve. That would be hell! I deserve it. I earned it according to Romans 6:23. The wages of sin (that which I worked for and am due) is death. Not physical death, but the 2nd death of eternal separation from God. God, through his plan of salvation, has taken the penalty of sin off the table. Jesus paid the price once and for all time.

Hebrews 4:16 - Let us therefore come boldly unto the throne of grace, that we may obtain mercy, and find grace to help in time of need.
Mercy and grace are found at the throne of God.  The place of authority and power. God, like the loving Father He is, dispenses these two wonderful commodities, to those who look to Him. I like the way this verse in Hebrews opens....."Let us therefore come BOLDLY."  Isn't that a grand picture? The only way I can come boldly is to realize how my heavenly Father views me. He truly does love me and wants to see me be complete in every way. That is why mercy and grace are given.

Chew on this today....
Mercy ....what a wonderful picture of the love of God.
Grace ....Power to change....

God on you..
mb

No comments:

THE REALITY OF THE NAME OF GOD

Listening to Keith Green this morning as he sings "How Majestic Is Your Name". I had to  ask myself, "Do I truly unerstnd the...