Friday, May 6, 2011

Picking Up The Pieces

Psalm 51:16-17
You do not delight in sacrifice, or I would bring it. You do not take pleasure in burnt offerings.
The sacrifices of God are (1.) A broken spirit  (2) a broken and contrite heart. O God, you will not despise.


I spent a great deal of time in these verses yesterday.
If you are familiar with Keith Green, you know that one of his songs is titled To Obey Is Better Than Sacrifice. The truth of that song is that God truly does receive the acknowledgement of "I give up" quicker than he does the deeds of a person who is not ready to submit.To obey comes from a place where we surrender each day (Luke 9:23) and follow, or live by, the Spirit of God that lives in us. It isn't about doing for God as much as it is "being" for God. Letting God change me as I submit to His desire for me and the life He has called me to.

Reckon how many fill the pews and chairs of church each week, singing at the top of their lungs. Giving when the offering plate is passed...and signing up for every church function there is, but yet have never come to the point of being broken before the Lord.

Being broken is not a place of pleasure, but a place of release. Having the things, behaviors and attitudes that are all contrary to God and His will, poured out for you to see. All placed under the pure, piercing presence of God himself. You are suddenly aware of how sinful you are, and how Holy God is.

King David also wrote in Psalm 51, "For I know my transgressions, and my sin is always before me. Against you, you only have i sinned and done what is evil in your sight..." These are the words of a man who has just committed adultery with another man's wife. These aren't flowery words meant to move us emotionally. They are the open wounds of someone who is painfully aware of who he truly is and what he is truly capable of doing. It is from this place that we can receive healing and restoration.

Praise God that He doesn't leave us in such places but takes our brokenness and restores us. Makes us new and fills us with His Holy Spirit. That is the promise of God! Don't allow the devil to steal your joy today by keeping you from being broken. Brokenness is but a season.....Healing from God is forever.
What a Savior we have!

God on you.....
mb

No comments:

THE REALITY OF THE NAME OF GOD

Listening to Keith Green this morning as he sings "How Majestic Is Your Name". I had to  ask myself, "Do I truly unerstnd the...