Thursday, August 25, 2011

Place of Peace / Place of Rest


Psalm 91:1-2
He who dwells in the secret place of the Most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. I will say of the LORD, "He is my refuge and my fortress. My God, in Him will I trust."

What an incredible picture these words from Psalm 91 paint.
In a day of turmoil and economic uncertainty, when the very fabric of our society seems strained and ready to be ripped apart, we have this statement. This declaration of the stability and unwavering truth of who God is and what He brings to our lives if we seek Him out.

One thing that can be said for a life of addiction, there isn't any peace found in the darkness. Even with the highest of highs, peace does not exist. I'm not talking about our surroundings or situations when I speak of peace. I'm talking about the peace that God gives within us. A peace that transcends all other emotions and brings a "centering" to our very being. A peace that is not shaken by what others say or do.

The very opening words of Psalm 91 reveal a great truth. It's not enough that I give a head nod to the things of God.....I must dwell with Him and He with  me. Dwell....to establish my residence there. My heart, my mind, my soul, my spirit, all focused and listening for God. Dwell....I am no longer a roamer or wanderer. I have a home within myself where the Spirit of God lives and instructs me. Sounds like something out of the Twilight Zone doesn't it? Well, it isn't fantasy.......it is reality.

These opening verses display a confidence in the Lord. That indeed His very presence in our lives is a safe place to live in. That he is a strength and protector to us as we walk daily in a world bent on self destruction. No longer do I have to fear what lies ahead in my day. The unknown has no power over me when I am walking with the Known. John 17:3 reads: And this is eternal life, that they may know You, the only true God, and Jesus Christ whom You have sent. Did you catch that? Eternal life is given to us that we may know God, the Father and Jesus, the Son. Seems to me if I expend myself on knowing Him, then I won't have that much time to sit around and fret and worry and carry on like the world does.

Who is God to you today? This isn't a question that should bring guilt and shame for our lack of understanding who God is. It is an encouragement to let you know that there is more to God than we can comprehend, so why not begin today by asking Him, "Lord! Will you reveal yourself to me that I may know you better?" You might be surprised by what happens.

God on you.....
mb

No comments:

THE REALITY OF THE NAME OF GOD

Listening to Keith Green this morning as he sings "How Majestic Is Your Name". I had to  ask myself, "Do I truly unerstnd the...