Wednesday, August 3, 2011

You Must Be Born Again



Why do I write day after day here in this blog? It's not for recognition, for I know that you will not remember me. It's not for personal satisfaction, even though I am touched when someone leaves a comment. I do it because God has called me to.

If you don't remember anything else from reading the postings....know that God loves you and desires to reach out to you and have this relationship. A relationship that has been separated by our sin and rebellion against God. Oh, let's be real here............the focus is on those who are trapped in addiction, but the power of addiction is found in the power of sin. Yes! There are some chemical changes that take place in a user's brain and there is physical damage done to the body through the use of drugs and/or alcohol.........but you know what? My God is in the healing business.

I guess one of the things I don't see in the lives of people we are trying to help is desperation. A desperation to be healed at any cost. A desperation that screams out..."No more! I cannot go on living like this!! I have to have Jesus or I die. Part of my prayer every time I speak is that God would break through the hardness and apathy that seems to surround so many who are addicted.

The thought of recovery is very simple.
I don't have a drug and alcohol problem. I have a living problem. I have a broken relationship with Jesus.
Recovery is about walking humbly, righteously and mercifully with God while accepting and doing His will. In our old lifestyle, we have opposed God's will by hurting ourselves, our bodies, and our loved ones.

Micah 6:8 - He has showed you, O man, what is good. And what does the LORD require of you? To act justly and to lover mercy and to walk humbly with your God.

In other words, we look to God for direction in what to do in our life. We no longer demand to be in control, to have the reins in our hands so we can guide the situations and circumstances that pull our life along. I give up!

I give up and find true freedom. Why would I want to keep on living in the old, destructive lifestyle? I see so many who just want some relief from the pressure and stress that they have brought on themselves by their bad choices. I don't want to change, I just want to be left alone. My friend, if that is the mindset you possess, God will let you along and he will leave you to your desires and wants. Unchecked and without God's help, you will rush head long to your destruction with no one to blame. You can't blame God, for it is you who demanded to be left alone. You can't blame others, because in your mind, you weren't hurting anyone. No, enraged and driven by your own appetite for sin, you chose to shake off the love of God to feed that dark appetite that can never be satisfied.

Oh that you would wake up from your darkness and understand what an incredible offer that God has extended to you. Through the shed blood of Jesus, the power of sin has been broken in your life. Through the shed blood of Jesus, the penalty of sin has been removed from your life, and through the blood of Jesus the presence of sin is no longer the slave driver that demands your obedience.

The work of Jesus is a finished work.
There is nothing left to do but for me to repent.
Nothing left to do but for me to confess and turn from my sin.
Nothing left to do but cry and receive the forgiveness of Christ.
Nothing left to do but allow God's Holy Spirit to come and fill me completely.
Then...................................
Live this new life daily, falling more and more in love with Jesus.

Fall in love with others who love Jesus....
Fall in love with those who don't know Jesus....

God on you....
mb

No comments:

THE REALITY OF THE NAME OF GOD

Listening to Keith Green this morning as he sings "How Majestic Is Your Name". I had to  ask myself, "Do I truly unerstnd the...