Monday, November 7, 2011

Observations From An Old Coot

Funny how things change.
Funny how we trade certain ways to embrace what we think are newer, better and more in touch.
I am speaking about the word WORSHIP.
When we hear that word, we all have different thoughts or feelings about what is and what isn't worship.
Most of our understanding comes from preference.
People tend to equate worship with music. While this is true, it is a view that limits what worship is.
Worship is not something that we critique or judge. Worship is giving unto God that which is due Him.

In our church meetings, we prefer certain types of music associated with worship.
We prefer certain models or ways of worshipping.
But one thing is for sure.
The world and it's ways have invaded the church, and I'm not so sure that we haven't drifted away from what worship was meant to be.
I fear that we have lost the truth, or at least misplaced it for the moment, of how God views worship and what he expects of his children.

If you go to a church service, especially if it is what is referred to as "contemporary" worship service, you'll probably encounter the following.
The worship leader will begin the service with an up-beat, fast tempo song. I've heard it explained a hundred different ways by multiple worship leaders that this is done in order to engage the people to join in the worship. While this is not evil or bad, I can also conclude that it might not be on God's heart either.
The problem becomes when our worship falls into a regimented pattern and we do it a certain way simply because we do it a certain way.
I remember when I pastored at the Vineyard.
Our early worship teams consisted of a guitar player and a keyboard player. If we were lucky we might have two guitar players along with the keyboardist. It worked.
But we began to build teams.
At times it got to the point that we became small orchestras with as many as 13 people playing and singing.
Was this a bad thing? Not in and of itself. I think it becomse bad when we leave God out of the equation and simply let our flesh direct. Darn that flesh! It can creep in and appear to be the most religious thing in the world. Behind it all can be a subtle idea of "getting the people" to act or "worship". I think this is more a response of our flesh than it is the Spirit of God moving upon us.

The idea of using up tempo music has also become a kind of sore spot for me. It's almost like we are trying to manipulate people into behaving a certain way. What if God had something else in mind for worship besides "blow out the jams?" Heaven forbid...what if God wanted a solomn assembly for worship? What if the worship had tears and sorrow and mourning? Would we even be open to the idea that it was God at work, or would we call for the elders to come forth and pray against the enemy (at least we would think it was the enemy). I guess what I'm trying to say here is that worship is about God and not us. What does God desire? What is on his heart? Is he bringing conviction and repentence into our midst? Or we to be broken before him?

I look to Job 1:20 and see a behavior that defines worship for me.
If you are familiar with the book of Job, then you know that Job had one of the worst days in the history if mankind. Job lost everything.........cattle...livestock.....property......his family.....God did leave his wife who was a source of pain during this time. I mean it was the worst times ten for Job. In the middle of all this news consuming him, we read in verse 20. Then Job arose and tore his robe and shaved his head, and he fell to the ground and worshiped. That is the response of someone who is following God. Job had no answers. There weren't any sugary platitudes that were spoken to him.  "Come on Job! Remember Romans 8:28!" (I know that Romans wasn't written at the time. Just trying to make a point). Job worshiped! It wasn't about good feelings. It wasn't about "what can I get from this?" It simply the response of a man overcome by life and did the only thing he knew he should do. Fall to the ground and worship.

Worship is my response to God in the middle of life's messes.
Job turned to God, not in an effort to feel good, but to simply do what was the right thing. Worship.
Verse 21 says even more about this man, Job, and his relationship with God.
"Naked I cam from my mother's womb,  and naked I shall return there. The Lord gave and the Lord has taken away. Blessed by the name of the Lord."
Worship is my life reflecting the truth of God and his Kingdom in every situation and circumstance I face.....good and bad.
My life is the message as I return to God the glory and worship due him. I don't have to know all the answers. I don't have to understand the why's and the wherefore's of life. But I am called to reflect the goodness of God in every way, every day. This reflection is me returning to God through my worship.
The words of my mouth must truly reflect what's in my heart.
My deeds and actions, no matter what the situation, must be salt and light in a world of darkness.
Worship is part of my spiritual DNA and as such, I not only say it with my mouth but I live it with my life.

To God be the glory.....
God on you......
mb

No comments:

THE REALITY OF THE NAME OF GOD

Listening to Keith Green this morning as he sings "How Majestic Is Your Name". I had to  ask myself, "Do I truly unerstnd the...