Tuesday, September 25, 2012

Learning From Habakkuk



Habakkuk 1:2
"How long, O Lord, must I call for help? But you do not listen!"

Sounds like a whiner doesn't it? A complainer. A malcontent. But such is not the case with the prophet Habakkuk. Habakkuk, whose name means "the embracer", is unique among the prophets we read about in Scripture. He is unique because he dared to ask God the hard questions. And God answers him! You see, what is unique about this, is that Habakkuk never imagined that God would not answer him. Maybe this is the secret to a good prayer life. We should pray and then expect God to answer. More than just getting an answer, Habakkuk was willing to accept God's answer even if he did not want it or like it. That is FAITH---trusting God's answers, rather than our questions.

My biggest struggle (o.k. it's confession time here) is my frustration when God doesn't answer my prayer in the way I thought he would.  See the good part is that God is not frustrated with my frustration. He patiently deal with me, teaching me and growing me. In his answer to Habakkuk's prayer, God tells him in Chapter 2 - But these things I plan won't happen right away. Slowly, steadily, surely, the time approaches when the vision will be fulfilled. If it seems slow, wait patiently, for it will surely take place. It will not be delayed.

Those are hard words for someone in recovery to hear. We've lived our lives under the banner of instant gratification. We embraced long term suffering for instant pleasure, so to be brought into a new way of living that demands patience..........that is going to take some getting use to. We will soon see that God is an "on time" God. He is never late, even when we feel like He is. He is never slack in keeping His promises to us. You can take that fact/truth to the bank.

It is often during these times of waiting on God that our faith wavers and we find ourselves tempted to take back our life and try and run it one more time.
We must realize that in these times of not understanding what God is doing, we must simply throw ourselves on Him and trust that He knows best. In Chapter 3 we are taken into the inner courts and allowed to hear one of Habakkuk's prayers. "I have heard all about you, Lord, and I am filled with awe by the amazing things you have done. In this time of our deep need, begin again to help us, as you did in years gone by. Show us your power to save us. And in your anger, remember your mercy.

Habakkuk realizes that God is bringing judgment against his nation because of their sin.......because of his sin. He throws himself on God and asks God to remember his mercy toward those he has called. Habakkuk doesn't try to bargain with God. He doesn't try to get God to compromise. He simply realizes that God is a God of justice, but also one who has great mercy. We should never forget this. As a child of God.......as one who has been born again, my God takes no pleasure in the sufferings of His children. He is a Father who loves us so much that discipline is a part of His love. There is a great difference between being punished and being disciplined. When i make stupid decisions and get myself in jams and trouble, I know that God will restore me through His discipline. But I do not turn away from Him because of it, I run to Him, knowing that His love is still there for me. His promise of restoration is still there for me. His direction and guidance is still there for me. He is still there for me. Now that is a God you can depend on.

When things around you don't make sense. When it seems that God has forgotten you and left you take care of the mess by yourself........know that this isn't true. The book of Habakkuk opens with the words..."how long shall I cry, and you will not hear." But the book closes with "The LORD GOD is my strength. He will make my feet like deer's feet, and He will make me walk on my high hills." Habakkuk was convinced that God had His plan, and he trusted in God's nature in the middle of great suffering and evil. Habakkuk trusted in God's character and this satisfied his soul. By this, I mean that Habakkuk had faith in God's answers rather than his own questions, even when those answers were painful. I like the declaration that Habakkuk says at the end of the book. I found a posting on the Internet that has taken the words of Habakkuk and updated them to reflect our time......

Though I don’t know what’s ahead or where to turn next,
though there seems to be no job prospects
and the no’s look overwhelming,
though the bills start piling up
and I don’t know how to pay them;
‘yet I will rejoice in the LORD,
will be joyful in God my Savior’


God on you..... mb


No comments:

THE REALITY OF THE NAME OF GOD

Listening to Keith Green this morning as he sings "How Majestic Is Your Name". I had to  ask myself, "Do I truly unerstnd the...