Monday, September 10, 2012

What Are you Waiting For?



Joshua 18:3 (Message Bible)
Joshua addressed the people of Israel: "How long are you going to sit around on your hands, putting off taking possession of the land that God, the God of your ancestors, has given you?

I Kings 18:21 (Message Bible)
Elijah challenged the people: "How long are you going to sit on the fence? If God is the real God, follow Him. If it's Baal, follow him. Make up your minds!"

Not willing to commit is the death of any recovery.
Half hearted commitment is the death of any recovery.
Not choosing one way or another is the death of any recovery.
Procrastination is the death of any recovery.

From my perspective, recovery begins with a commitment to surrender will and life over to God (Step # 3). Then a simple "following" of the steps that aid us in making good choices. I guess maybe that is why we read in the big book of A.A...."Rarely have we seen anyone fail who has thoroughly followed our path."

This new life that God is entrusting us with cannot, nor will it, grow by ignoring it.
By not choosing to study His word.
It will not grow if I don't cultivate my relationship with Him.
Some believe that after their saved (or born again), nothing else is needed. The thought almost seems like, "Let's kick it in GRACE gear and cruise." As if Grace were the answer to every mess up that is made. Well, there are two kinds of mess ups. (1.) Where I'm trying to do the right thing and I get it wrong. And (2) The kind where I don't give a rip one way or the other, and I get it wrong. I don't think grace covers the second one.

I like what Hebrew 2:1-2 says...."It's crucial that we keep a firm grip on what we've heard so that we don't drift off. If the old message delivered by the angels was valid and nobody got away with anything, do you think we can risk neglecting the latest message, this magnificent salvation?" In other words....now is the time to be more aware and in tune with what God is speaking to us.  The more I fall in love with Jesus, the more I want to be like Him. The more I want to be like Him, the more I find myself studying His word, talking with Him, listening for Him and hanging out with people who are like minded.

Who am I truly listening too..?
Who is it that is bringing influence to me?
Is it society and culture?
Or is it the Holy Spirit working in me?
If you have truly made the commitment to follow God, then you are kind of in an in-between place in your recovery. You're leaving an old life style and trying to find the new one. The more you press into the forward movement with God, the farther you move from your old way of living and doing business with the world.

I want you to be encouraged today...
You may be fighting against a tug in your heart that tells you to give up...go back to the old ways....
God will strengthen you to not quit.
All you have to do is TODAY! Just TODAY!

Philippians 3:12-14
I'm not saying that I have this all together, that I have made it. But I am well on my way, reaching out for Christ, who has so wondrously reached out for me. Friends, don't get me wrong: By no means do I count myself an expert in all of this, but I've got my eye on the goal, where God is beckoning us onward ----to Jesus. I'm off and running, and I'm not turning back.

God on you.....
mb

No comments:

THE REALITY OF THE NAME OF GOD

Listening to Keith Green this morning as he sings "How Majestic Is Your Name". I had to  ask myself, "Do I truly unerstnd the...