Sunday, November 25, 2012

Wha's Zup?


It's the last day of my "Stay-cation" and what a wonderful week it has been. I think that I shall take off this week next year (if the good Lord gives me another year). I got to spend it with my very bestest friend in the entire known universe and beyond...my wife, Vicki.

Lot's of rest.....
Lot's of work....although it was a different kind of work, we enjoyed every moment of it.
Lot's of family and plans for Christmas and our vacation next summer.
Lot's of food, but not too much..I did keep my sugar under control and exercised while I was off. I really don't want a repeat performance of another heart attack like last year.

Tonight I will go to Celebrate Recovery North Glencoe to speak. Speak on what? Well, that is the $64,000 question isn't it? Truth be known, the message never changes. The Scripture might. The examples and illustrations used might change. The length of time I speak will vary. But the message never changes. It has remained the same ever since I stood for the first time to speak. Jesus is the "everything" we have been looking for. We just didn't want to admit it. We tried to fill up every empty place inside of ourselves with drugs / alcohol / sex / money / power / relationships / material possessions.......and nothing worked. Oh, they satisfied for a moment but there was no lasting satisfaction. Only an eternal God can bring an eternal satisfaction to one who is broken.

Romans 10:1-15 and 17 gives us an insight into the power of THE Message.
How shall they call on Him in whom they have not believed? And how shall they believe in Him of whom they have not heard? And how shall they hear without a preacher? And how shall they preach unless they are sent? As it is written......How beautiful are the feet of those who preach the gospel of peace, who bring glad tidings of good things?
So then faith comes by hearing, and hearing by the word of God.

People need to hear that they no longer have to live a life of desperation and insanity. They need to hear that there is a solution to their insanity. They need to hear that no matter what they may think they need, God is truly the answer to what they've been looking for.

We need to quit looking for the fast fix to our problems.
We need to abandon our quest for the easier, softer way.
We need to wake up and look beyond our own ability to one who possesses everything we are in need of to leave not just our addiction, but our old way of life behind. God would not call us to do this if he didn't have a different, better way of life waiting for us.

Hopefully I'll see you tonight...
North Glencoe Baptist Church / Celebrate Recovery.
Meal starts at 5:30 p.m.
Big Group at 6:30 p.m.
Come on out...
What do you have to loose?
Just your old way of living and doing business with this world.

God on you....
mb

No comments:

THE REALITY OF THE NAME OF GOD

Listening to Keith Green this morning as he sings "How Majestic Is Your Name". I had to  ask myself, "Do I truly unerstnd the...