Thursday, November 15, 2012

Die To Live......or Live To Die...Your Choice



Paul, the Apostle talking.....er...writing.
"I beseech you, therefore brethren, by the mercies of God, that you present your bodies as living sacrifice, holy, acceptable to God, which is your reasonable service.
And do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind, that you may prove what is that good and acceptable and perfect will of God."


Isn't it odd that Paul would use images of pagan worship and human sacrifice to demonstrate the power of serving and living for the God of the Bible? 
Paul is trying to keep everything relevant and open when it comes to embracing this new life with Christ. That is exactly what it is...a new life. A new way of seeing things. A new way of doing business with the world. Paul addresses the practical, day-to-day living and interaction that we each have with other believers and with those who haven't come to this relationship we now have.

I think maybe the crux of the whole Romans 12:1-2 thing, is that we present ourselves to God to receive His Holy Spirit. We don't do this on our own accord. It's like trying to embrace the 12 Steps by doing it the way you want to. Most people in addiction have what is commonly referred to as a 2-step program...."Step # 1 - I've got a problem..and Step # 12--- Now go give it away. We don't like all the "Stuff" found in Steps #2-11." 

Here in the opening verses of Romans 12, we see that we are not to serve the individual (my own selfish needs, wants and desires), but rather, serve God. He directs our steps as we seek Him daily. 
We are not to give in to peer-pressure or influence from those we use to run with in our old life. Nor are we to allow ourselves to be conformed to the morals and dictates of what society says is appropriate.

I like how the Message Bible states Romans 12:1-2

 So here’s what I want you to do, God helping you: Take your everyday, ordinary life—your sleeping, eating, going-to-work, and walking-around life—and place it before God as an offering. Embracing what God does for you is the best thing you can do for him. Don’t become so well-adjusted to your culture that you fit into it without even thinking. Instead, fix your attention on God. You’ll be changed from the inside out. Readily recognize what he wants from you, and quickly respond to it. Unlike the culture around you, always dragging you down to its level of immaturity, God brings the best out of you, develops well-formed maturity in you.

Giving myself....body,soul and spirit to God so that, through me, he can reach others who need to hear my story. I become God's 12-stepper, filled with His Spirit, not the spirit of this world. My message is clear---Jesus is the Higher Power you've been looking for.

So in this Romans 12:1-2 attitude, I become a living, breathing, walking around individual, that daily gives myself to God. That doesn't mean that I get saved every day, but it does mean that I die to "self" every day.
Food for thought....
Have you "died" for Him today so He can live in you?


God on you....
mb



No comments:

THE REALITY OF THE NAME OF GOD

Listening to Keith Green this morning as he sings "How Majestic Is Your Name". I had to  ask myself, "Do I truly unerstnd the...