Sunday, April 7, 2013

To DO Or To BE.....That Is The Question

"I need to read my Bible more."
"Man, I don't pray enough."
"I can't miss church this week, what will people think."
"Times are tough, but I need to tithe more."
"I want to share my story....be a witness...but I'm just terrified of the thought of talking to other people."

All of the above statements use to be a a part of my spiritual personality.
I was saved....
But I was living by a set of rules and regulations that I had put together that, in my mind, defined my relationship with Jesus.

I was a "Do-er".
A "Do-er" for the Lord.
Trouble was, I was a miserable "Do-er".
In fact, I was having trouble "doing".

Somewhere along the way, I had convinced myself that if I carried out these "rules"......real Christians tithe....real Christians read the Bible (A lot)...real Christians witness and share their faith...
If I did all these things, then I would be seen by others as being a Christian.

Maybe that is why I bought a lot of T-shirts with Christian sayings and images on them. After all, the Bible does say "By their T-shirts you shall know them."

To put it bluntly, I was a miserable follower of Jesus.
These self imposed rules seemed to be enforced by what I was hearing taught in church. Truth was, I was hearing the Word of God but it wasn't being filtered through the grace God had given to me. It was being changed and twisted by my own reasoning rather than listening to God's Holy Spirit.

Like I said, "I was a "Do-er".
Even had Scripture to back it us...James 1:22 - But be doers of the word, and not hearers only, deceiving yourselves. There it was in black and white...I was to be a "do-er"....trouble was....I wasn't very good at doing. This only compounded my own struggles and doubt about my salvation.


It wasn't until years late that as I was studying and listening to some teaching tapes that everything changed. John Wimber was teaching on the Kingdom of God and how it impacts every area of our daily lives. As I listened, jotting down notes and references, John said, "God is more interested in your "BEING" than in your "DOING".  Those words struck my heart like a sledge hammer. "What? What did he say," actually saying those words out loud. I stopped the tape and rewound it.
"God is more interested in your "BEING" than in your "DOING".
John went on to say that if I focus myself on "Being " who God created me to be by letting Him work in my life changing and removing the defects of character I possessed, then the "DOING" would come natural.

The "Doing" would be like second nature.
I wouldn't have to "DO" because of some rule or commandment.
I would "DO" because that is who I am.
I would share my story because that is just what someone does when they are walking in relationship with Jesus. You share it because you want to.
You sharing your faith doesn't make you a Christian or define you as one.

You sharing your faith if a by product of actually walking out this relationship.
Why do Apples tree produce apples?
Because they are apple trees....they can't do anything else.
Why do believers share their faith....
Because they are believers...they can't do anything else.

Get it?
Don't use the religious behaviors to define and convince yourself of your relationship with Christ.
Let the Word of God richly dwell inside your heart....
Fall in love with Jesus.....

Have you read that book...the Bible?
He does some really way out stuff...
How could you not love Jesus....

Then, in this new love affair.....simply allow Him to work, speak, move and touch those around you....
Cool beans....
God on you...

mb

No comments:

THE REALITY OF THE NAME OF GOD

Listening to Keith Green this morning as he sings "How Majestic Is Your Name". I had to  ask myself, "Do I truly unerstnd the...