Monday, May 20, 2013

The Real Me




Psalm 71 (Message Bible)
Just as each day brims with Your beauty, my mouth brims with praise,
but don't turn me out to pasture when I'm old or put me on the shelf
when I can't pull my weight....

61 1/2 years old, and I feel like a kid again.
The love that I have tapped into is as old as creation but is as new to me today as this dawn that is breaking outside my window.
With this love comes a deep appreciation for who You are, Lord.
I'm not going to lie (You already know anyway)....I fell prey to loving what you did more than loving You for who you are. 
Kind of sick, isn't it Father?
But You.....
Unfailing in your character and nature....
You....

The Author and Finisher of this salvation You have so wonderfully poured out on me (and anyone else who would receive it)...
Never change...
Culture changes...
People change....
Governments change....

Celebrities come and go...
But You are a constant presence and stability in a world gone mad.
People curse You .....yet You keep on loving.
People want to remove every semblance of You from society....
But you keep on being faithful.
You keep loving...
You keep calling us, daily to Your side.


I drifted out the edge, but you kept Your hand upon me.
I lost sight of You and tried to find you through the words of Your Bible.
You were there all the time, but I couldn't see you.
I had lost sight of Your love...
What I thought was You, turned out to be the hardness of my own heart.

Slowly (and deliberately might I add) I covered up tenderness with the flowing robes of a pharisee. All flash and sparkle on the outside....but empty and hollow on the inside.
I discarded the real love from the heart (that you require) and replaced it with a verbal acknowledgement that was as cold and hard as a granite tombstone. In fact that was where my love for You and others had been taken. The grave. 

I plodded along daily...
Praying daily....yet filled with doubt and fear.

Those Pharisee robes come in pretty handy when you're living like this..you can fool anyone into thinking you're really spiritual. But I never could fool You, could I Lord?

You kept Your hand upon me....
You moved events around me....
You lovingly called me back to your side and Your heart.
And I came.

Restored...
Renewed...
Refreshed....
And about a million other "Re's" that I can't even think of at this moment.

So thank You for the gift of life today....
More than that, thank You that I am learning to love all over again.

Thank You for who You are....
Amen.


God on you....
mb

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

These letters are very heart touching and making me see my own need to have a real and close walk with Him. It truly is so easy to have a Pharisee's robe to hide behind. I want to have the real thing, though. Thanks for these posts.

Greene Street Letters said...

Man....we are all busted and tore up. I kept trying to be "good enough" when God was simply waiting for me to come to Him. I bless you today and pray that you keep on, keeping on.
It's the greatest love story ever and you've been invited to join in. Is that cool or what?

THE REALITY OF THE NAME OF GOD

Listening to Keith Green this morning as he sings "How Majestic Is Your Name". I had to  ask myself, "Do I truly unerstnd the...