Thursday, November 14, 2013

Dust Bunnies For Jesus


3 Stooges.....
Sometimes, this is the mental picture I have of myself when I think about my relationship with God.
I'm a mess.
I'm a pie-throwing, head bonking, woob-woob-woob-woob mess.
I could give you a million reasons as to why if I were God I wouldn't save me.
I'm not even sure I would have given me the time of day, much less the keys to the Kingdom.
Times like this, I'm glad I didn't get the job of being God.
Times like this, I'm sure He's glad I didn't get the job of being God.

He seems to be much more at ease with His position than I would if I were in charge.

Genesis 2:7 reads: And the LORD God formed man of the dust of the ground, and breathed into his nostrils the breath of life, and man became a living being (or soul). Dust. A most common element found here on planet "earth". Dust. Why Dust? Why did God create what some perceive as the high point of creation, man from the dust of the earth. Why not a diamond? Hard, containing a brilliance and fire when placed under the light. Would not man have reflected the person of Jesus better had man been created from diamonds?

Why not a pearl? The perfect pearl of great price to show the suffering of the coming Messiah. Pearl's are created through irritation within the oyster. Would that not have been a perfect example of God helping us to get through those times of great irritation. Those times when we find no comfort in life. Why not a pearl.

Dust...I still don't understand. I mean dust will not even hold together. It is easily blown by the wind, scattered across the countryside. I might even be able to wrap my head around this whole creation thing if God had of even used "dirt". At least with dirt you can grow things. Dirt contains nourishment so that plants can thrive and produce their fruit. Dust is of no use to anyone or anything.

Maybe that is the whole point.

Dust represents the fact that when we look at ourselves, we see nothing of value within. And maybe it is that view of our own self-worth that opens the door for us to realize our need for a Savior. You see, dust isn't worthless to God. If you back up in the Genesis 2 passage and read verse 5 and 6, you'll see that God created a mist to form and rise to water the earth (dust included). What happens when misty water hits dry dust? You get a kind of mud, if you will. Would that not have made it easier to mold and form man? I think so. Water has always been a symbol of God's Holy Spirit. So without water (or God's Holy Spirit) I'm a useless pile of dust that is easily blown about by the winds of the age and time I live in. But when the mist (or Spirit of God) comes to cover me, I gain form and substance that is easily molded and changed from a useless pile of inert material, into a living, breathing soul ready to do my Lord's bidding. I kind of like that picture, don't you? 

So today, let God define who you are.
Let His Holy Spirit dwell within you and listen for Him as He guides you through this day.

Live today to the fullest and give away what has been freely given to you.
Know that God loves you, and so do I.

God on you...
mb


No comments:

THE REALITY OF THE NAME OF GOD

Listening to Keith Green this morning as he sings "How Majestic Is Your Name". I had to  ask myself, "Do I truly unerstnd the...