Saturday, March 22, 2014

John Wimber "The Carnality Of The Church" part II

Matthew 16:18
......and on this ROCK I will build My church, and the gates of Hell shall not prevail against it.

In talking with an individual who wasn't familiar with Vineyard Recovery Church, I was asked a series of questions about what we did.
I think the name "recovery" intrigued them.
It wasn't so much about our theology (which is being formed) or our focus, as much as it was about what we offered those who come to the meeting.
"Do you have programs?"
"No."
"Do you have any outside activities that promote community?"
"No."

"Do you have any trips to events or amusement parks?"
"No."

The questions went on for some time, and I finally interjected, "Look...we simply have Jesus."
Now that is not me trying to be a religious snob. I would love to have things to offer those who come to Vineyard Recovery.
But right now, today, there are things we are facing that are far more pressing that what can we do to draw people in.


The focus of any church should be the same.
(1.) It isn't my church....it isn't your church....it isn't the denominations church. The church belongs to Jesus. It is His church. And on the simple fact that "He is the Christ, the Son of the living God." is all we need. 

(2.) God doesn't mind programs and events. But when such supersedes the call to make disciples, then we have missed it. I don't see anywhere in scripture where we are called to make church members.....but disciples. People who can hear God for themselves, and then do the works of Jesus. John Wimber use to say "We are truly Biblically literate....but woefully Biblically obedient." In other words...those who are a part of the church (Body of Christ) have much knowledge of Scripture...but lack the leading to go out into the market place and be the Body of Christ. I'm not just talking about handing out tracts and sharing your story, nothing wrong with that. I'm talking about praying for folk's and seeing them healed. I'm talking about recognizing when demonic oppression is part of a person's problem, and then breaking such of that individual. 

(3.) The church was not created to collect people. There is nothing wrong with churches who have large congregations....you just don't measure it success by how many people it has. You measure the success or failure of any church by the quality of people it produces. Some seem to be more in the "Tare" business rather than the "Wheat" business.

Right now...as far as Vineyard Recovery is concerned....we do one thing. Introduce those who come through the door to Jesus. The real-deal Jesus who comes and touches and saves individuals. I'm o.k. with that.

Here is part two of John Wimber speaking on "The Carnality Of The Church."

No comments:

THE REALITY OF THE NAME OF GOD

Listening to Keith Green this morning as he sings "How Majestic Is Your Name". I had to  ask myself, "Do I truly unerstnd the...