Wednesday, May 14, 2014

Simple Words.......Great Truth


Psalm 23:1
The LORD is my shepherd; I shall not want.

God gave my wife this verse in the middle of the night to remind me of a simple truth that had evaded by mind. You cannot separate the truth of God from any situation that you face. You can't compartmentalize or pigeon hole the promises of God and pull them out at your convenience. You see, I was allowing a situation and decision that I have to make to pull me away from the truth of God. Oh, it's not that the choices and opportunities facing me are bad ones. But they do have the potential to move me from what God has called me to, into other areas that I know I'm not suppose to be in. I know that what I have written is probably clear as mud, and I apologize for the vagueness of this morning's posting.

I guess what I am trying to say is that the verse from Psalm 23 is more powerful that we can think or imagine. It involves me knowing who I am in this relationship with Jesus. It involves me understanding exactly who Christ is and what His call and obligation to me is. In that verse, Christ and I have very clear defined roles to occupy. These roles are a result of the Salvation that was brought and given to me by Jesus. 

It is very simple.
He is THE shepherd.

I am one of His sheep.
There, I said it.
I've heard people refer to Jesus as "Lord of Lord's and King of King's". I'd like to add to that list that Jesus is the "Shepherd of shepherd's". 
His love and care for the flock entrusted to Him goes beyond anything we could think or imagine. Jesus is not a hireling paid to guard someone else's flock. No, He was given His sheep by His Father. He proved His faithfulness when He gave up His very own life so that His Father's flock could increase in number. 

Now with the "position" problem solved; Jesus=Shepherd.....Me=sheep. Let's move to the heart of the matter. 
"I shall not want".
How could such a statement like this be said?
Because of who my Shepherd is.
He provides for me, but the provision comes when I follow Him. He knows where the greener pastures are. He knows where the places to water are. He knows where the greatest dangers lurk and stirs clear of them. He is the great shepherd. What's my job and role as a sheep? To simply follow. Don't take any side trips away from His care. Don't wander off. Always listen for Him and His call. Heed what He says. And in the end, simply do it.

In the situation that is facing me, I got caught up in looking at a side trip away from the flock, and away from Jesus' care. That is a dangerous way to live. I would be placing myself, my family and my future at risk. The one thing I have discovered lo these past 20 years. Jesus is faithful. That no matter what our circumstances may be....no matter what things may look like, He will always provide what is needed for His sheep. I think maybe you could take that to the bank.

God on you...

mb

No comments:

THE REALITY OF THE NAME OF GOD

Listening to Keith Green this morning as he sings "How Majestic Is Your Name". I had to  ask myself, "Do I truly unerstnd the...