Monday, August 3, 2015

Give It Away


II Corinthians 1:3-4
Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of mercies and God of all comforts who comforts us in all our tribulation, that we may be able to comfort those who are in any trouble with the comfort with which we ourselves are comforted by God.

Give it away....
Not based on a church program...
Or a method or plan that someone came up with that screams, "If you do this, then they will respond this way. If they respond a certain way, then you are to quote this verse."

What in heavens name ever happened to the idea that the Holy Spirit inside us might be able to instruct us when we need it.

What happens if our "method or plan" doesn't fit the individual that we are talking to. You do know that people are a diverse group and as such, maybe we need the leading of a diverse Spirit to give us what we need for that particular person we are talking to.

Bottom line....
I need to better myself at hearing God when I am approaching someone to help.
"Well, they need Jesus in their life."
Yes they do.
But what if they need Jesus in a specific way that would truly catch their hearts. What if the Holy Spirit spoke to you and gave you the words to say that would unlock their cold hearts to the truth?  What if the Holy Spirit allowed you to plant a seed that would come forth at a later time?

These are the things we need to consider when we understand that we are called to be a giving people.

Give what?
Whatever we have.
Our time...
Our talents...
Our money...
Give it all away for the Kingdom.

If we cannot see the value of people's lives, then we will never get this Kingdom thing right.
Our call is to allow God to work through us to bring comfort to those we come in contact with who are truly hurting. To help those who are looking for answers. The beautiful part in all of this is that I don't have to be the answer man. I just have to be available to let God work through me.

For the most part, allowing God to work through me involves a lot of me not knowing the right thing to say, or the right thing to do. 

Actually all it takes is a willingness on my part to be used.
Not going to lie...that is a scary place because we have been trained to have a ready response to whatever question is brought up when we approach people.
I refuse to operate that way.
If someone engages me and they come at me with a barrage of questions I can't answer, I always give them my best answers.

"I don't know. What do you think is the answer?"
"Beats me."
"Wish I knew."
Somehow society (not to mention...the church) has created a mindset that places all the burden on the believer. You should just know the answer.
Sorry, Charlie...
I do know someone who does know, and I'd like to introduce you to Him. I'm sure that you've heard of Him, but I'm not sure that you know the real person.....Jesus!


The world is looking for comfort in all the wrong places.
We are called to be the conduit through which real comfort can flow to those who are hurting.
Comfort that goes beyond reason.


"Having had a spiritual awakening, I seek to take this message to others, and to practice all these principals in my daily affairs."
Michael Bynum Translation: "Give it away!"

God on you
mb

No comments:

THE REALITY OF THE NAME OF GOD

Listening to Keith Green this morning as he sings "How Majestic Is Your Name". I had to  ask myself, "Do I truly unerstnd the...