Wednesday, August 5, 2015




I'm an old wineskin.
When we read the passage from Luke 5, where Jesus talks about old patches and old wineskin's, we tend to discard the old. Jesus even says that the New and Old cannot mingle. It doesn't work. But no where does he say that the Old is not fit for consumption.
Now before you go all theological on me, I do understand that the passage in Luke is talking about the New covenant coming to replace the old one.
But this morning, I think God will give me liberty to apply it in a different way. Apply it to something that is relevant in my life today.
The wine or call on my life has been born from two different movements that affected me tremendously.

The Jesus people movement that took place in the late 60's....
and the renewal that happened back in the early 90's.
Both of these visitations by God's Holy Spirit had a tremendous impact on my life and shaped it so that who I am today is a by product of those times.
When I say "impact" that is truly what I mean.
It shaped my view of God and His Holy Spirit.
It introduced me to the works of Christ and that I was called to "do the stuff" as John Wimber use to say.

My wine has been aging for 50 + years.
Anyone who knows anything about wine knows that aged wine is richer and fuller.
Does that mean we should ignore or discount what God is doing today?
Never.
Recognize God at work and bless it.
Recognize that others are having the wineskin's filled with the wonderful presence of the Holy Spirit.
But it doesn't mean that your wineskin has lost it viability or importance.
It doesn't mean that you need to discard what God has filled you with to run after something new.
Here's the tricky part.
If God so leads you to be filled with this "NEW" wine, then go drink it up.
But only if God is leading.
Don't let your taste or your own desire be the motivating factor that would cause you to chase this.

If you have been called to drink this new wine, this fresh move of His Spirit, then do so in humility.
Don't lash out at those who have come before you as being of no relevance.
A great price was paid by a lot of people so that you could, in fact, drink this new wine.
Honor those who have come before you for their sacrifice and diligence in keeping the wine and not wasting it.
Pay homage to those who are filled with the old wine.
They haven't carried it for this much time and not grown in wisdom and maturity.
Yes sir! I'm an old wineskin and proud of it.
My wineskin still bulges with the fruit of the Holy Spirit working in me.
I continue to pour from my wineskin on those who are broken and hurting.
I pour liberally not afraid of running out or being selfish with it.
Yes sir! I'm an old wineskin.

God on you....
mb

No comments:

THE REALITY OF THE NAME OF GOD

Listening to Keith Green this morning as he sings "How Majestic Is Your Name". I had to  ask myself, "Do I truly unerstnd the...