Friday, August 21, 2015

Thankful For Chris Lizotte and Everyone Else Who Still Picks Up An Instrument To Worship God




Psalm 32 - (A Psalm of David)  A skillful song, or a didactic or reflective poem.
V.11
Be glad in the Lord and rejoice you (uncompromisingly) righteous (you who are upright and in right standing with Him).Shout for Joy, all you upright in heart.

One of the great blessings that God has given to me is to be able to meet and hang out with some of the worship leader / singer/ songwriters of the Vineyard. Chris Lizotte is one in particular who is, what I would refer to as, the real deal.......the genuine article.

Chris came to our Living Sacrifices Worship Conference back in 2013. He definitely is a blue jean/ flannel shirt over a t-shirt / kind of guy. Laid back wouldn't even begin to identify him. He rolls through life like a stream of water, taking every turn and hill as it comes. He is just a humble fellow who enjoys music...enjoy's worship...loves Jesus.
Don't be fooled by his laid back manner. Chris' view of life and what worship should be runs deep and is the passion that moves him in his relationship with Christ. 

Chris readily admits that he is getting older and that his music may not be what someone younger may want to hear. But, to me, he has moved into the category of someone who has weathered a lot of storms. Someone who doesn't claim to have all the answers, but through his music shares his wisdom about life and relationship with Jesus to anyone who would listen. These are the kind of people I want in my life. People who have weathered storms...have gone through hard times and can share the beauty of what it means to hang onto to God when you don't have anything else to hang on to.

Maybe it's simply a matter of relating to others who are in close proximity to my own age, but I have been blessed to meet a number of the older Vineyard Worship leaders who are still out there writing songs, going to other churches and venues to share the music. There is still a fire that burns in their hearts to worship God wherever the journey may take them. Thank you, Father, for these who have not quit. For these who still pack up and go when you say go. Thank you for letting me be made aware of this incredible worship that is out there. Worship that speaks to the heart you have given me. I have also been blessed to be a part of a group of people who have taken this same "worship" journey in our local fellowship. People I have shared time and music with over the past 26 years. People like Debbie Handy who gave me a place to lead worship. Brook Finlayson, who encouraged me to step out a little farther on my instrument. To reach for that riff, note, or chord that I thought I couldn't play. Nori Kelley who asked me to play bass early on in my time at the Vineyard. Nori modeled before me the drive and desire to be better at his craft. David Finalyson and Bruce Cornutt who shared the stage at House of Blue. They showed me that worship could be fun. Wayne Wimpee the percussionist with 8 arms. How he does what he does when he stands behind his drums is beyond me, but I am surely grateful to have him laying down the rhythm. And the newest member of my journey (coming in at 9 years playing together) Mr. Barry Hooks. Barry brought to the mix the true definition of gratefulness. Lifted from the despair of alcoholism, Barry used his guitar and his talent to tell God of his thankfulness for all that has been afforded to him in this new life he has been given. Pretty impressive bunch of folks. And I love each and every one of them.
You're a pretty neat God...
And I sure do love you....


Michael b

No comments:

THE REALITY OF THE NAME OF GOD

Listening to Keith Green this morning as he sings "How Majestic Is Your Name". I had to  ask myself, "Do I truly unerstnd the...