Friday, April 8, 2016

Learning A New Way



Matthew 6:34
So don't worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will bring its own worries (troubles / problems). Today's trouble is enough for today.

Matthew 6:25
That is why I tell you not to worry about every day life----whether you have enough food and drink, or enough clothes to wear. Isn't life more than food, and your body more than clothing?

Tomorrow can either be a magical place where anything is possible, or it can be the death trap waiting to swallow us. We can't control tomorrow. It doesn't bend to our will, no matter how hard we try to make it. It doesn't ask our opinion about how it should all fall out. It merely comes at us like a runaway train. None of us can escape tomorrow, not unless we die. 

Sometimes the power of "Tomorrow" is so overwhelming to a person that they decide to go ahead and check out from this life. If you re drowning in the darkness of despair and hopelessness, tomorrow can be a monster, especially when you realize that tomorrow is forever. It isn't just about the day..it is the conclusion that there are "day's" out there...stretching to the edge of our comprehension and beyond. Here, in today, we are moving forward with no answers as to our problems or situations. We seek to hide from tomorrow. We don't want to face it. We are hobbled by the all to familiar "fear of the unknown".....which it tied hand and foot to "Fear of the future".

So what's up with Jesus?
Telling us not to worry about tomorrow...what's up with that?
The message that Jesus gives is very simple. Trust him with all our tomorrow's.
Trust him  with tomorrow...
Follow him today.

That's the plan.
Of course this plan goes off the rails if you haven't answered his call to new life.
Some refer to this process as being "born again". You may have heard it called "being saved". I'm not real interested in the moniker you attach to it, as much as the end results. 


If you drop down in Matthew 6 a few verses, you'll read this tidbit of wisdom that Jesus shared.
"So don't worry about these things, saying 'what will we eat? What will we drink? What will we wear?' These things dominate the thoughts of unbelievers, but your heavenly Father already knows all your needs. Seek the Kingdom of God above all else, and live rightly (by following the leading and direction of God's Holy Spirit living in every believer) and he will give you everything you need."

In other words, if I fill up my today with "JESUS"...then I am setting in place the direction and instruction that will take me into my tomorrow. Whatever is out there in tomorrow waiting on me can be dealt with when tomorrow arrives.
Now I don't mean for this to sound like some sort of pie-in-sky-puppy dogs- unicorns-and rainbows kind of existence. Life fills up our every waking moment and as we wall know..."life is messy". What I can rely on and trust in is the simple fact that God is with me to help me navigate every twist and turn that I face. He is faithful even when I'm not. He is there for me, and in me even when my old thoughts come back and tell me to run away. That is truth that can free you from old thoughts which lead to old habits.
Chew on this a while and see what you think?
Could this be the life you've been searching for?

God on you...

mbb

No comments:

THE REALITY OF THE NAME OF GOD

Listening to Keith Green this morning as he sings "How Majestic Is Your Name". I had to  ask myself, "Do I truly unerstnd the...